Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000
The leader of British Columbia's Opposition says he would introduce the largest provincial income tax cut in provincial history if his party is elected to form government this fall. Kevin Falcon says BC United would eliminate the tax on the first $50,000 earned by every person in B.C., allowing taxpayers to keep an additional $2,050 on average.

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada
A House of Commons committee will investigate how a man who is now facing terror charges was admitted to Canada and obtained citizenship. Members of Parliament on the public safety and national security committee voted unanimously on Tuesday to launch a study on the terror suspects arrested in the Toronto area last month. 

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report
A recently released international report says Canada's temporary foreign worker program is a "breeding ground" for contemporary slavery. The final report by a United Nations special rapporteur who visited Canada last year says a power imbalance prevents workers from exercising their rights.

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has directed staff to conduct a review of financial penalties for violating fire bans in an effort to potentially increase the fines. It comes after the city says its fire department has responded to more than 400 brush and grass fires since May 1st, most of which were caused by human activity.

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

19 year old charged in extortion crimes
Police in Metro Vancouver say a 19-year-old man has been charged with almost two dozen offences related to the alleged online sexual extortion of teenagers. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the investigation began after victims in Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario reported to local police that they were being extorted for money after sharing explicit images with someone they met on social media platforms.

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada
Human-caused climate change is making heat waves much more likely, the federal government says, bringing extreme weather from fires to storms. That's according to Environment and Climate Change Canada's rapid extreme weather event attribution system, which compares today's climate to a pre-industrial one.

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada