Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Worker killed by two polar bears

Worker killed by two polar bears
A worker has died after being attacked by two polar bears off the eastern coast of Baffin Island in Nunavut. The Nasittuq Corporation says in a statement that employees responded to the attack Thursday at its work site on Brevoort Island.

Worker killed by two polar bears

Langley RCMP officer hit by vehicle

Langley RCMP officer hit by vehicle
Police in Langley say one of their officers has been taken to hospital after being struck by a vehicle whose driver fled the scene. RCMP say an officer was conducting traffic enforcement when the crash occurred on Friday.

Langley RCMP officer hit by vehicle

Stabbings at a Surrey party overnight

Stabbings at a Surrey party overnight
Police in Surrey are appealing for information after stabbings at a party overnight. Surrey R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a stabbing at a "large" party on Loughren Drive, a residential area near the Port Mann Bridge, at about 12:30 a-m.

Stabbings at a Surrey party overnight

Scams targeting Chinese community in Vancouver result in millions lost, police say

Scams targeting Chinese community in Vancouver result in millions lost, police say
Police in Vancouver are warning about three scams that are targeting the Chinese community after victims reported losing nearly $6 million this year.  They are investigating 26 files since Jan. 1, but investigators believe there are more victims who haven't come forward. 

Scams targeting Chinese community in Vancouver result in millions lost, police say

Body of missing hiker found after three-day search in western Alberta

Body of missing hiker found after three-day search in western Alberta
Mounties say the body of a hiker has been found after a three-day search in western Alberta. They say the death isn't believed to be criminal.

Body of missing hiker found after three-day search in western Alberta

Wildfires tick up with lightning in forecast for B.C.'s southern Interior

Wildfires tick up with lightning in forecast for B.C.'s southern Interior
The number of active wildfires in British Columbia is increasing after holding below 350 for days as officials warn of lightning in the forecast. There are just under 360 active blazes in B.C., including 25 sparked since Thursday as many areas in the southern part of the province bake under hot and dry conditions.

Wildfires tick up with lightning in forecast for B.C.'s southern Interior