Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta rules on school library books to start Oct. 1

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jul, 2025 12:25 PM
  • Alberta rules on school library books to start Oct. 1

Alberta's education minister says school libraries must pull explicit, sexual content from their shelves starting Oct. 1.

Demetrios Nicolaides says the province's new standards aren’t about banning books but ensuring kids aren’t exposed to the wrong material for their age.

The government has issued a list of specific sex acts that cannot be explicitly described in library books.

It considers mentions of kissing, hugging or handholding as not sexual in nature and not part of the ban.

Religious texts, such as the Bible, are also exempt.

School boards must review library materials, supervise students’ access, and report to the government, but there will be no additional funding to help them.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks
Three national Indigenous leaders say Indigenous Peoples should be at the centre of any discussions on how the country should respond to incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs and Canada's territorial sovereignty. National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami President Natan Obed and Métis National Council President Victoria Pruden made that pitch during a meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Wednesday morning.

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors
Three men from Port Alberni have been charged with sexual offences on minors, including trafficking of youth under 18 years old.  RCMP say its general investigations unit started looking into the allegations in 2020 and charges were laid last week. 

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast
The federal government is providing $117 million to help solve what it describes as the "heightening water crisis" due to drought on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast, where the Sechelt area has been hit especially hard.

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP
R-C-M-P officers in the central Okanagan will soon start wearing body cameras. The acting officer in charge of the detachment based in Kelowna says they are among the first in B-C to deploy the equipment that will be the national standard

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet
The BC government has released Premier David Eby's mandate letters for his new cabinet, outlining priorities for each ministry. Almost every minister has instructions to grow the economy and "reduce costs for families."

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report
The federal government spent more on contracted information technology services in four federal departments in 2022-23 than it would have if the work had been done by public servants, the parliamentary budget officer found in a new analysis. A report from the PBO published Thursday said the federal government spent $18.6 billion on professional and special services in 2022-23, with $2.6 billion of that money going to IT.

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report