Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

20 year old man arrested in relation to Guildford shooting

20 year old man arrested in relation to Guildford shooting
On June 1, 2022, 20-year-old Benjamin Sultan Sabetnia of Coquitlam, BC was charged with aggravated assault, using a firearm in the commission of an offence, robbery with a firearm and discharging firearm with intent. He has been arrested and remains in custody awaiting his next court appearance.

20 year old man arrested in relation to Guildford shooting

Vancouver man charged in the stabbing death of his brother over the weekend

Vancouver man charged in the stabbing death of his brother over the weekend
Alexander Trimble was arrested Sunday morning after Vancouver Police responded to reports of an assault at a home near Bruce Street and East 49th Avenue. He remains in custody.

Vancouver man charged in the stabbing death of his brother over the weekend

Crown prosecutor alleges 'persistent campaign' of online harassment against B.C. teen

Crown prosecutor alleges 'persistent campaign' of online harassment against B.C. teen
Coban pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of extortion, harassment, communication with a young person to commit a sexual offence and two counts of possessing child pornography.

Crown prosecutor alleges 'persistent campaign' of online harassment against B.C. teen

Alleged stabbing suspect identified and arrested

Alleged stabbing suspect identified and arrested
Police were called to Walmart located in the 10300-block of 152 Street in Surrey for the report of a stabbing. Upon attendance police learned that the suspect had fled the store. 

Alleged stabbing suspect identified and arrested

Driver turns himself in after 4 hit in B.C.

Driver turns himself in after 4 hit in B.C.
Mounties said in a news release Monday that the 77-year-old man is not in custody but is co-operating with investigators, and his truck has been seized for examination following the march on Saturday.    

Driver turns himself in after 4 hit in B.C.

Province launches preparedness plan for heat events, heat alert

Province launches preparedness plan for heat events, heat alert
Temperatures surpassed 40 C for days in last summer's so-called heat dome in B.C., resulting in almost 600 heat-related deaths, most of them elderly and vulnerable people living in buildings without air conditioning.    

Province launches preparedness plan for heat events, heat alert