Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

First monkeypox case detected in B.C.

First monkeypox case detected in B.C.
The centre says its laboratory has confirmed the infection in a resident of Vancouver, but it is awaiting further confirmation by the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg. It says in a statement that Vancouver Coastal Health is conducting public health followup on the case.

First monkeypox case detected in B.C.

Longtime northern B.C. MLA Jack Weisgerber dies

Longtime northern B.C. MLA Jack Weisgerber dies
Jack Weisgerber, who was energy, mines and petroleum resources minister in the Social Credit government of former Premier Bill Vander Zalm, and was B.C.'s first minister of native affairs, was 81 years old.

Longtime northern B.C. MLA Jack Weisgerber dies

Trudeau heads south as Americas confront realities

Trudeau heads south as Americas confront realities
As a cornerstone of Canada's economic growth, federal immigration policy strikes a delicate balance between economic, humanitarian and labour-policy priorities, all the while preserving public buy-in to keep the ever-present political dangers at bay, Selee said.    

Trudeau heads south as Americas confront realities

Evacuations in northwest B.C., as rivers rise

Evacuations in northwest B.C., as rivers rise
Flood watches were posted Sunday for the Dean River in the Fraser Plateau east of Bella Coola and for the Liard River and its tributaries around the northeastern B.C. community of Fort Nelson and along Highway 97 toward Watson Lake.

Evacuations in northwest B.C., as rivers rise

B.C. wildfire season slow to kindle, says expert

B.C. wildfire season slow to kindle, says expert
Wildfires last year destroyed most the village of Lytton and forced almost 200 evacuation orders during a near-record season where 1,610 wildfires charred 8,682 square kilometres of land, primarily in southern and southeastern B.C.

B.C. wildfire season slow to kindle, says expert

A 13 year old male and a 17 year old male in custody for assaulting a man: North Van RCMP

A 13 year old male and a 17 year old male in custody for assaulting a man: North Van RCMP
An officer immediately rendered emergency first aid, applied a police tourniquet, and called for paramedics. The injured man was taken to hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries.

A 13 year old male and a 17 year old male in custody for assaulting a man: North Van RCMP