Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Applications open for dental care benefits

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Dec, 2022 02:14 PM
  • Applications open for dental care benefits

OTTAWA - Parents can apply with the Canada Revenue Agency starting today to receive the children's dental benefit that the federal Liberals say is intended to provide cost-of-living relief to low-income Canadians but that critics say is a drop in the bucket.

The benefit, to be used toward dental services, is available for children under 12 in families that earn less than $90,000 a year and ranges from $260 to $650 per child depending on net income.

A one-time rental supplement of $500 for low-income households that was also fast-tracked this fall will be available beginning on Dec. 12.

A permanent update to the Canada Labour Code that requires the federally regulated private sector to provide two weeks of paid sick leave to employees also takes effect today.

At the end of the month, workers who have been continuously employed for at least 30 days will have access to their first three days of paid sick leave, and they will continue to accumulate one day a month after that up to a maximum of 10 days a year.

The NDP pushed for the dental care and sick-day policies as part of an agreement to support the minority Liberals on major legislation and confidence votes until 2025.

"This is just the first step," NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said in a statement on Wednesday. "We’re going to keep fighting to make sure all Canadians can access comprehensive dental care as part of our health-care system."

When pushed on cost-of-living issues during question period in the House of Commons this week, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland pointed to the dental care plan, which will be in place for the next two years, as one that would make a dent in Canadians' financial woes.

"Never again will Canadian parents of young children need to choose between buying the groceries, paying the rent or taking their kid to the dentist," she said.

But the official Opposition Conservatives, who voted against the policies, have argued that the Liberal subsidies are a drop in the bucket compared to the costs that Canadians are facing due to inflation.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada to send artillery ammunition to Ukraine

Canada to send artillery ammunition to Ukraine
Anand says the ammunition is "exactly" what Ukraine's government asked for from its allies. She says the rounds are the standard NATO artillery calibre and compatible with the artillery guns provided to Ukraine by Canada and other countries.

Canada to send artillery ammunition to Ukraine

New avian flu cases found in B.C., Alberta

New avian flu cases found in B.C., Alberta
The B.C. case came one day after 4,000 turkeys on a Fraser Valley farm were due to be euthanized as avian flu was verified last week on two commercial poultry farms in B.C.'s poultry producing hub of Abbotsford.

New avian flu cases found in B.C., Alberta

Trudeau in Metro Vancouver to talk Invictus Games

Trudeau in Metro Vancouver to talk Invictus Games
Trudeau's stops in Metro Vancouver come following his tense appearance at the unmarked residential school graves memorial ceremony Monday in Kamloops. The prime minister faced angry chants from some people at the memorial but was also warmly greeted by elders.    

Trudeau in Metro Vancouver to talk Invictus Games

21 year old pedestrian in hospital with life threatening injuries after being struck by a vehicle in Burnaby

21 year old pedestrian in hospital with life threatening injuries after being struck by a vehicle in Burnaby
On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 11:26 p.m., Burnaby RCMP frontline officers came upon a pedestrian that had been struck by a vehicle in the 6600 block of Hastings Street in Burnaby. A 2019 white Ford Edge was travelling east-bound on Hastings Street when it struck a lone pedestrian crossing the roadway.

21 year old pedestrian in hospital with life threatening injuries after being struck by a vehicle in Burnaby

19 year old man dead after early Monday morning stabbing in South Vancouver

19 year old man dead after early Monday morning stabbing in South Vancouver
Despite life-saving efforts by VPD, BC Ambulance Service and Vancouver Fire Rescue Services, the victim was taken to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries and died. A 24-year-old man has been arrested and remains in custody. The investigation is ongoing.

19 year old man dead after early Monday morning stabbing in South Vancouver

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issues statement on the 108th anniversary of Komagata Maru

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issues statement on the 108th anniversary of Komagata Maru
  The 376 passengers arrived off the coast of B.C. hoping to challenge the immigration laws at the time which refused entry to any Indians who had not arrived in Canada via a continuous journey from the home country — nearly impossible at the time.    

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issues statement on the 108th anniversary of Komagata Maru