Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Applications open for dental care benefits

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Dec, 2022 02:14 PM
  • Applications open for dental care benefits

OTTAWA - Parents can apply with the Canada Revenue Agency starting today to receive the children's dental benefit that the federal Liberals say is intended to provide cost-of-living relief to low-income Canadians but that critics say is a drop in the bucket.

The benefit, to be used toward dental services, is available for children under 12 in families that earn less than $90,000 a year and ranges from $260 to $650 per child depending on net income.

A one-time rental supplement of $500 for low-income households that was also fast-tracked this fall will be available beginning on Dec. 12.

A permanent update to the Canada Labour Code that requires the federally regulated private sector to provide two weeks of paid sick leave to employees also takes effect today.

At the end of the month, workers who have been continuously employed for at least 30 days will have access to their first three days of paid sick leave, and they will continue to accumulate one day a month after that up to a maximum of 10 days a year.

The NDP pushed for the dental care and sick-day policies as part of an agreement to support the minority Liberals on major legislation and confidence votes until 2025.

"This is just the first step," NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said in a statement on Wednesday. "We’re going to keep fighting to make sure all Canadians can access comprehensive dental care as part of our health-care system."

When pushed on cost-of-living issues during question period in the House of Commons this week, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland pointed to the dental care plan, which will be in place for the next two years, as one that would make a dent in Canadians' financial woes.

"Never again will Canadian parents of young children need to choose between buying the groceries, paying the rent or taking their kid to the dentist," she said.

But the official Opposition Conservatives, who voted against the policies, have argued that the Liberal subsidies are a drop in the bucket compared to the costs that Canadians are facing due to inflation.

MORE National ARTICLES

Female sexually assaulted by an unknown male in Surrey during a break and enter at a home

Female sexually assaulted by an unknown male in Surrey during a break and enter at a home
Upon attendance, Frontline officers spoke with the adult female resident, who reported that she had been sexually assaulted by an unknown male suspect. The female victim was taken to an area hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

Female sexually assaulted by an unknown male in Surrey during a break and enter at a home

Shots fired in Whalley, man taken to hospital with serious injuries

Shots fired in Whalley, man taken to hospital with serious injuries
Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a shot fired in the 13700 block of Grosvenor road. A male suffering from serious injuries was located and transported to a local area hospital.    

Shots fired in Whalley, man taken to hospital with serious injuries

Missing male Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj found deceased: Richmond RCMP

Missing male Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj found deceased: Richmond RCMP
Richmond RCMP is saddened to report that missing 64-year old Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj (male) has been found deceased on May 19, 2022 in the 6800 block of Miller Rd. This incident is not considered suspicious. 

Missing male Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj found deceased: Richmond RCMP

Man arrested after conducting robbery with toddler

Man arrested after conducting robbery with toddler
The suspect had allegedly entered the gas station holding the hand of his small child and after walking around the store, approached the counter and demanded money. During the course of the robbery, the suspect had pulled up his shirt, exposing the butt of what appeared to be a firearm. 

Man arrested after conducting robbery with toddler

Canada bans Huawei, ZTE from 5G telecom networks

Canada bans Huawei, ZTE from 5G telecom networks
China will comprehensively and seriously evaluate this incident and take all necessary measures to safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese companies," the Chinese Embassy in Canada said in a statement posted on its website.

Canada bans Huawei, ZTE from 5G telecom networks

Trudeau pledges more steps on cybersecurity

Trudeau pledges more steps on cybersecurity
Trudeau says the government is working closely with big financial institutions as well as other companies across the country to protect vital networks from malicious attackers.

Trudeau pledges more steps on cybersecurity