Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Apr, 2023 03:11 PM
  • Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

VANCOUVER - An appeal court has quashed the conviction of a British Columbia woman in the drowning death of a toddler she was babysitting, saying the original outcome was "the product of a miscarriage of justice."

Tammy Bouvette was originally charged with second-degree murder but pleaded guilty in 2013 to the lesser charge of criminal negligence in the death of 19-month-old Iyanna Teeple in Cranbrook, B.C.

The toddler was found unconscious and not breathing in a bathtub on May 26, 2011, and was flown to a Calgary hospital, where she later died.

The B.C. Court of Appeal ruling issued Wednesday says police and/or the BC Prosecution Service failed to disclose to Bouvette's lawyers several items of key evidence.

The ruling notes that it did not find bad faith or malice on behalf of the Crown, but the non-disclosure meant Bouvette was "deprived (of) the opportunity to make an informed decision about how to plead."

The ruling orders a stay of proceedings, saying retrying her case would be "unjust" and an "abuse of process" as she had already served her whole sentence.

"She has already been punished for the offence of criminal negligence causing death. It would amount to punishing the appellant again for succeeding in having her guilty plea and conviction quashed," the decision states.

The court also notes that Bouvette, who had a history of addiction, relapsed after being charged, lost custody of her children and was assaulted in jail due to being perceived as a "baby killer," which resulted in her being moved to segregation.

It also says "she has struggled with addiction issues, homelessness, poverty, social isolation, and physical and mental health challenges" since being released from custody.

MORE National ARTICLES

Rain complicates flood predictions in B.C.

Rain complicates flood predictions in B.C.
Downpours also prompted flood warnings for the Blue and Quesnel river systems east of Williams Lake and a high streamflow advisory is now in place for the Upper Fraser River and its tributaries from Prince George to Valemount.

Rain complicates flood predictions in B.C.

22 year old Dedaar Jhooty charged with manslaughter in Whistler stabbing

22 year old Dedaar Jhooty charged with manslaughter in Whistler stabbing
First responders arrived and learned that the victim, 26-year-old Henry Garcia Molina, had died of his injuries. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) was called to investigate. On June 23, 2022, a charge of manslaughter was laid by the BC Prosecution Service against Dedaar Jhooty for his alleged involvement.  

22 year old Dedaar Jhooty charged with manslaughter in Whistler stabbing

Vancouver approves Broadway redevelopment

Vancouver approves Broadway redevelopment
Councillors voted seven to four in support of the plan to add up to 30,000 homes along a six-kilometre, 16-block wide strip serving Vancouver General Hospital, City Hall and hundreds of businesses, shops, restaurants and schools.

Vancouver approves Broadway redevelopment

Province stops museum plan, will consult public on museum’s future

Province stops museum plan, will consult public on museum’s future
Public engagement will seek input on what British Columbians want to see in a modernized museum experience. It will also address structural and safety issues identified with the current buildings.

Province stops museum plan, will consult public on museum’s future

Liberals say faith in RCMP commissioner strong

Liberals say faith in RCMP commissioner strong
A report published Tuesday by the inquiry investigating the tragedy includes notes from an RCMP superintendent alleging Lucki said she had promised Blair and the Prime Minister's Office that information on the guns used by the shooter would be released as it affected pending gun control legislation.    

Liberals say faith in RCMP commissioner strong

Ex-employees sue Musk-run Tesla for mass layoffs

Ex-employees sue Musk-run Tesla for mass layoffs
The world's richest man said that the electric car-maker will cut salaries by 10 per cent over the next three months, as the company navigates the global macro-economic conditions. This would result in reducing Tesla's total headcount by roughly 3.5 per cent.

Ex-employees sue Musk-run Tesla for mass layoffs