Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Apr, 2023 03:11 PM
  • Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

VANCOUVER - An appeal court has quashed the conviction of a British Columbia woman in the drowning death of a toddler she was babysitting, saying the original outcome was "the product of a miscarriage of justice."

Tammy Bouvette was originally charged with second-degree murder but pleaded guilty in 2013 to the lesser charge of criminal negligence in the death of 19-month-old Iyanna Teeple in Cranbrook, B.C.

The toddler was found unconscious and not breathing in a bathtub on May 26, 2011, and was flown to a Calgary hospital, where she later died.

The B.C. Court of Appeal ruling issued Wednesday says police and/or the BC Prosecution Service failed to disclose to Bouvette's lawyers several items of key evidence.

The ruling notes that it did not find bad faith or malice on behalf of the Crown, but the non-disclosure meant Bouvette was "deprived (of) the opportunity to make an informed decision about how to plead."

The ruling orders a stay of proceedings, saying retrying her case would be "unjust" and an "abuse of process" as she had already served her whole sentence.

"She has already been punished for the offence of criminal negligence causing death. It would amount to punishing the appellant again for succeeding in having her guilty plea and conviction quashed," the decision states.

The court also notes that Bouvette, who had a history of addiction, relapsed after being charged, lost custody of her children and was assaulted in jail due to being perceived as a "baby killer," which resulted in her being moved to segregation.

It also says "she has struggled with addiction issues, homelessness, poverty, social isolation, and physical and mental health challenges" since being released from custody.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trevali recovers final two bodies in mine

Trevali recovers final two bodies in mine
The Vancouver-based miner says it is working alongside Burkinabe authorities is it co-ordinates the dewatering and rehabilitation of the mine. The flooding event is under investigation by the company and government authorities.

Trevali recovers final two bodies in mine

22 year old motorcyclist dead after a single vehicle collision in Burnaby

22 year old motorcyclist dead after a single vehicle collision in Burnaby
The motorcycle was travelling southbound on Willingdon Avenue at the time of the crash, which is believed to have occurred at approximately 1:55 a.m. A 22-year-old motorcyclist was pronounced dead on scene. 

22 year old motorcyclist dead after a single vehicle collision in Burnaby

Vancouver police investigate unprovoked machete attack – one of several violent incidents over Father's Day weekend

Vancouver police investigate unprovoked machete attack – one of several violent incidents over Father's Day weekend
A 23-year-old man from Surrey was leaving a concert at Rogers Arena around 11:30 p.m. Sunday when one of the men was confronted by a group of strangers and was stabbed in the abdomen. The victim was taken to hospital and is expected to survive. The suspects fled and have not been located.

Vancouver police investigate unprovoked machete attack – one of several violent incidents over Father's Day weekend

The long goodbye to some single-use plastics

The long goodbye to some single-use plastics
Federal data show in 2019, 15.5 billion plastic grocery bags, 4.5 billion pieces of plastic cutlery, three billion stir sticks, 5.8 billion straws, 183 million six-pack rings and 805 million takeout containers were sold in Canada.    

The long goodbye to some single-use plastics

Rescue robot research at University of Calgary

Rescue robot research at University of Calgary
Ramirez-Serrano has been working on the robot for the last seven years. He hopes it will become a tool to help first responders with disasters such as the collapse of a building.

Rescue robot research at University of Calgary

Canada investing $4.9B in North American defence

Canada investing $4.9B in North American defence
Anand says the funding is the first of an estimated $40 billion that will be spent over the next 20 years to upgrade the joint U.S.-Canadian early warning system known as Norad and purchase other military assets to protect the continent.

Canada investing $4.9B in North American defence