Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. adds 17 major projects as priority investments, in bid to accelerate growth

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Apr, 2026 10:50 AM
  • B.C. adds 17 major projects as priority investments, in bid to accelerate growth

The British Columbia government is adding 17 new major investments to its list of priority projects, and Premier David Eby says the recent wrangling over Indigenous rights legislation won't undermine that progress. 

Eby says when companies bring $1 billion into the province, they have a "sophisticated understanding of the jurisdiction" they are walking into, and with instability around the world, these companies are investing in B.C. 

The premier says there's been a lot of misinformation after a court ruled that B.C.'s mineral claims regime was inconsistent with the provincial law that follows the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

Eby says companies are investing at record levels, there's never been as much mining exploration activity and investors know that there are strong Indigenous partnerships available in the province. 

He and other government ministers announced on Wednesday that $88 billion in proposed major projects are on track to move forward over the next three years. 

The Look West plan, launched last year, focused on expediting approvals for 18 projects, including several mines and clean energy projects, and Eby says adding 17 more projects is another step toward becoming an independent economy. 

"We have to address the DRIPA issue. No question, we will," Eby said of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act.

"And the companies know that they have strong Indigenous partnerships, that are working, that they can invest here with certainty, and they are doing that, and it's important for British Columbians to know that because it will impact their lives," Eby told a news conference on Wednesday. 

Since the program launched last year, five major mines have been permitted, including Quintette coal mine, and extension to the Highland Valley Copper mine and Eskay Creek mine. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit
Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford is defending simultaneously wearing two hats — campaigning in a snap election he called and taking anti-tariff actions as premier. This is a bad time for Ontario to find itself in an election, the other political party leaders say, amid the chaos of U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats. 

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires
More than 30 firefighters from British Columbia's Wildfire Service have returned home from a deployment fighting large fires that destroyed thousands of homes around Southern California. The Ministry of Forests say the crews are part of two separate groups, the first consisting of 13 technical specialists who were deployed on Jan. 11 to support the effort to combat the Palisades wildfire in L.A.

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case
The B.C. Court of Appeal says a man convicted of sexually assaulting his wife deserves a new trial because messages between the pair about a consensual "rape role-play" scenario were wrongfully excluded as evidence. The ruling released on Friday says the complainant and accused, who can't be identified under a publication ban, were married but separated at the time of the alleged sexual assault in November 2019. 

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking
Police in Burnaby say six people are facing a combined total of 36 charges related to illicit drug trafficking. A statement from the R-C-M-P says they were part of a "particularly violent" drug-trafficking organization with links to the Lower Mainland gang conflict.

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing
Police say a 32-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder after a fatal stabbing outside a Coquitlam pub last week. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Coquitlam R-C-M-P had responded to a call about a fight outside the John B Pub on Friday night.

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150
Canada's top court is expanding its public outreach to build trust at a time of increasing misinformation as more people get their news from social media. Chief Justice Richard Wagner and other justices of the Supreme Court of Canada launched a cross-country tour in Victoria, B.C., on Monday to mark the court's 150th anniversary.

Canada's chief justice decries misinformation as top court turns 150