Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. adds 17 major projects as priority investments, in bid to accelerate growth

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Apr, 2026 10:50 AM
  • B.C. adds 17 major projects as priority investments, in bid to accelerate growth

The British Columbia government is adding 17 new major investments to its list of priority projects, and Premier David Eby says the recent wrangling over Indigenous rights legislation won't undermine that progress. 

Eby says when companies bring $1 billion into the province, they have a "sophisticated understanding of the jurisdiction" they are walking into, and with instability around the world, these companies are investing in B.C. 

The premier says there's been a lot of misinformation after a court ruled that B.C.'s mineral claims regime was inconsistent with the provincial law that follows the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

Eby says companies are investing at record levels, there's never been as much mining exploration activity and investors know that there are strong Indigenous partnerships available in the province. 

He and other government ministers announced on Wednesday that $88 billion in proposed major projects are on track to move forward over the next three years. 

The Look West plan, launched last year, focused on expediting approvals for 18 projects, including several mines and clean energy projects, and Eby says adding 17 more projects is another step toward becoming an independent economy. 

"We have to address the DRIPA issue. No question, we will," Eby said of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act.

"And the companies know that they have strong Indigenous partnerships, that are working, that they can invest here with certainty, and they are doing that, and it's important for British Columbians to know that because it will impact their lives," Eby told a news conference on Wednesday. 

Since the program launched last year, five major mines have been permitted, including Quintette coal mine, and extension to the Highland Valley Copper mine and Eskay Creek mine. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers
British Columbia's attorney general says the Supreme Court of Canada has certified the province's class-action lawsuit against opioid manufacturers and distributors. Niki Sharma says B.C. can now proceed as a representative plaintiff on behalf of other Canadian governments with the litigation aimed at recovering the costs of treating opioid-related diseases allegedly caused by the industry's conduct.

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges
Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he is only aware of two genders — male and female — and that the government should leave people alone. In an interview with CP24 news channel, Poilievre was asked about President Donald Trump signing an executive order declaring the U.S. will only recognize two sexes and that they are unchangeable.

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race
Liberal leadership candidates Mark Carney and Chandra Arya have submitted their paperwork to enter the race ahead of tomorrow's deadline. The two appear to be the first through that gate, submitting the required signatures and a $50,000 deposit.

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says
The federal government failed in its duty to language and cultural advisers who worked for Canada's military during the Afghanistan conflict, says a report by Robyn Hynes, interim ombud for the Department of National Defence.

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

2 arrested for assault with a weapon

2 arrested for assault with a weapon
Police in Surrey say two men have been charged with multiple offences including assault with a weapon, uttering threats to cause death, and unlawful confinement after an incident at a city centre apartment on Monday. They say officers responded to a call from a resident at an apartment on Central Avenue who said that two men were acting violently and had a gun.

2 arrested for assault with a weapon