Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. adds 17 major projects as priority investments, in bid to accelerate growth

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Apr, 2026 10:50 AM
  • B.C. adds 17 major projects as priority investments, in bid to accelerate growth

The British Columbia government is adding 17 new major investments to its list of priority projects, and Premier David Eby says the recent wrangling over Indigenous rights legislation won't undermine that progress. 

Eby says when companies bring $1 billion into the province, they have a "sophisticated understanding of the jurisdiction" they are walking into, and with instability around the world, these companies are investing in B.C. 

The premier says there's been a lot of misinformation after a court ruled that B.C.'s mineral claims regime was inconsistent with the provincial law that follows the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

Eby says companies are investing at record levels, there's never been as much mining exploration activity and investors know that there are strong Indigenous partnerships available in the province. 

He and other government ministers announced on Wednesday that $88 billion in proposed major projects are on track to move forward over the next three years. 

The Look West plan, launched last year, focused on expediting approvals for 18 projects, including several mines and clean energy projects, and Eby says adding 17 more projects is another step toward becoming an independent economy. 

"We have to address the DRIPA issue. No question, we will," Eby said of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act.

"And the companies know that they have strong Indigenous partnerships, that are working, that they can invest here with certainty, and they are doing that, and it's important for British Columbians to know that because it will impact their lives," Eby told a news conference on Wednesday. 

Since the program launched last year, five major mines have been permitted, including Quintette coal mine, and extension to the Highland Valley Copper mine and Eskay Creek mine. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Home invasion in Sicamous

Home invasion in Sicamous
Mounties in Sicamous say a man has been charged with multiple offences for breaking into a home in Malakwa last Saturday. They say the man was allegedly armed with a weapon and got into a confrontation with the residents inside.

Home invasion in Sicamous

Trudeau to attend events marking the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland

Trudeau to attend events marking the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will fly to Poland next week for events marking 80 years since the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp. Trudeau's office says he'll be travelling Sunday to Tuesday and visiting the site of the Nazi regime's largest camp, where more than one million people were murdered during the Holocaust.

Trudeau to attend events marking the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland

Ottawa signs deals to house homeless in 11 municipalities in Ontario, Saskatchewan

Ottawa signs deals to house homeless in 11 municipalities in Ontario, Saskatchewan
The federal government has signed deals with nine additional municipalities in Ontario and two in Saskatchewan to address homelessness. The agreements are worth a combined $91 million over two years and are meant to support the municipalities' encampment response plans.

Ottawa signs deals to house homeless in 11 municipalities in Ontario, Saskatchewan

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election
Another member of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's front bench has decided to step away from federal politics at the next election. Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says his name will not be on the ballot when the next election is held, though he says he will remain a dedicated member of the Liberal party.

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit
Staff at the World Health Organization are "devastated" by President Donald Trump's executive order to pull the U.S. out of the agency, a Canadian global health specialist says. Dr. Madhukar Pai, the Canada Research Chair in Epidemiology and Global Health, is at the WHO headquarters in Geneva this week for meetings about tuberculosis and was there at the time Trump signed the order Monday.  

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric
Refugee advocacy groups are pushing back as the federal immigration minister says Ottawa still regards the U.S. as a safe country for transgender refugees under President Donald Trump. Trump signed executive orders on the first day of his new term to make recognizing gender based on biological characteristics U.S. government policy, and to pause the refugee program.

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric