Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Conservatives accuse Eby of spending on comedian speech writer as deficit grows

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2025 10:16 AM
  • B.C. Conservatives accuse Eby of spending on comedian speech writer as deficit grows

Premier David Eby says his office is cutting back on costs as he responds to claims by the Opposition B.C. Conservatives that his government is spending up to $450,000 for Vancouver-based comedian Charles Demers to write speeches.

Demers is one of five speech writers "necessary" for his job, Eby told an unrelated news conference on Tuesday. The value of Demers' contract so far has been $14,000, not "quite as sensational" as the Conservatives are claiming, he said.

The Conservatives released a copy of the contract on Tuesday between government and Demers showing an hourly rate of $165 for a total cost of $150,000 over two years, which could reach $450,000 if he were hired for two more one-year terms.

Conservative finance critic Peter Milobar says in a statement that the contract "exemplifies" the government's misplaced spending priorities in the face of B.C.'s deficit, forecast to reach a record high of $11.6 billion this fiscal year. 

Milobar says Demers' contract is "not only tone-deaf" but "offensive" to taxpayers in B.C. as they face higher costs and businesses are struggling. 

Demers posted a video on Instagram Tuesday in response, saying the Conservative figures were "hallucinatory" and "not in touch with any reality."

He said he would only receive $450,000 if he were to invoice for the maximum amount for the full length of the contract, then add a further $150,000.

Demers said he doesn't just write jokes for Eby, but rather "all kinds of things." 

However, he acknowledged he wrote only jokes for former premier John Horgan.

"I've been a political writer longer than I've been a comedy writer," he added.

Eby said the use of contractors like Demers allows government to cut back on costs and his office is following suit as part of the plan to return to a balanced budget. 

Demers said in his video that he is proud of the work he is doing for a government that he supports, and humour is a way for democratic leaders to connect with their constituents and help make their ideas "approachable and understandable."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. puts its response to U.S. tariffs on hold after 30-day delay

B.C. puts its response to U.S. tariffs on hold after 30-day delay
British Columbia Premier David Eby says his government will pause its response to threatened American tariffs after a 30-day reprieve was negotiated today between Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and U.S. President Donald Trump. 

B.C. puts its response to U.S. tariffs on hold after 30-day delay

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit
Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford is defending simultaneously wearing two hats — campaigning in a snap election he called and taking anti-tariff actions as premier. This is a bad time for Ontario to find itself in an election, the other political party leaders say, amid the chaos of U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats. 

Ontario PCs pledge billions in stimulus that would flow after election if tariffs hit

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires
More than 30 firefighters from British Columbia's Wildfire Service have returned home from a deployment fighting large fires that destroyed thousands of homes around Southern California. The Ministry of Forests say the crews are part of two separate groups, the first consisting of 13 technical specialists who were deployed on Jan. 11 to support the effort to combat the Palisades wildfire in L.A.

B.C. wildfire crews return from California deployment to combat L.A. fires

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case
The B.C. Court of Appeal says a man convicted of sexually assaulting his wife deserves a new trial because messages between the pair about a consensual "rape role-play" scenario were wrongfully excluded as evidence. The ruling released on Friday says the complainant and accused, who can't be identified under a publication ban, were married but separated at the time of the alleged sexual assault in November 2019. 

B.C. Court of Appeal orders new trial for husband in 'rape role-play' case

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking
Police in Burnaby say six people are facing a combined total of 36 charges related to illicit drug trafficking. A statement from the R-C-M-P says they were part of a "particularly violent" drug-trafficking organization with links to the Lower Mainland gang conflict.

6 charged in illicit drug trafficking

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing
Police say a 32-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder after a fatal stabbing outside a Coquitlam pub last week. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Coquitlam R-C-M-P had responded to a call about a fight outside the John B Pub on Friday night.

Man charged in fatal Coquitlam stabbing