Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. crews brace for extreme fire behaviour when winds from cold front hit northeast

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jun, 2025 01:40 PM
  • B.C. crews brace for extreme fire behaviour when winds from cold front hit northeast

The BC Wildfire Service says crews are preparing for "extreme fire behaviour" in the province's northeastern region as a second dry cold front is forecast to move through.

The service says wind gusts up to 80km/hr are expected in some areas, which could fan the flames and cause growth in the region that is the focus of the province's fire fight.

It will be the second cold front that has passed through the Fort Nelson area, with the first that moved through on Sunday causing increased fire behaviour.

The warning comes after the Pocket Knife Creek wildfire formed over the weekend, quickly growing into a wildfire of note, one of three in B.C.'s northeast that have prompted a series of evacuation orders.

That blaze is the result of two fires merging, and the service is now reporting that it spans more than 610 square kilometres.

The wildfire service is warning drivers that Highway 97 will remain closed north of Fort Nelson until this evening due to the Summit Lake Fire, another fire of note.

It is currently about 106 square kilometres in size and the service says the incoming cold front will bring conditions that may cause it to spread further. 

The Kiskatinaw River is the third fire of note in the province, listed at about 130 square kilometres in size. 

There are currently more than 80 fires burning across the province, with more than half listed as burning out of control.

The fires have prompted Environment Canada to issue a special air quality statement for the northeastern region, saying smoke is causing poor air quality and reduced visibility.

That statement, which covers Fort Nelson and the Peace River area, says conditions are expected to persist for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Picture Courtesy:  THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, B.C. Wildfire Service

MORE National ARTICLES

2 struck by a vehicle in Duncan

2 struck by a vehicle in Duncan
Police on Vancouver Island are investigating after two pedestrians were struck by a vehicle in Duncan. R-C-M-P say they were called to a report of a pedestrian struck shortly after 9 p-m Saturday.

2 struck by a vehicle in Duncan

CBC needed with Elon Musk ‘meddling’ in Canadian politics: heritage minister

CBC needed with Elon Musk ‘meddling’ in Canadian politics: heritage minister
Elon Musk’s increasing "meddling" in politics and recent changes at Meta to eliminate fact-checking make Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre’s promise to defund the CBC even more consequential, said Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge. She said the issue isn’t about left or right-wing politics, or "even if you like the CBC or not."

CBC needed with Elon Musk ‘meddling’ in Canadian politics: heritage minister

Champagne to announce leadership intentions today

Champagne to announce leadership intentions today
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne plans to reveal his intentions for the Liberal leadership race today.  So far, Ontario MP Chandra Arya and former Montreal MP Frank Baylis are the only two to officially join the contest.

Champagne to announce leadership intentions today

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report
The Institute for Research on Public Policy says governments in Canada have work to do to support the 68 communities it identified as susceptible on the path to drastically lowering Canada's emissions. 

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview
Mark Carney went on late-night television in the U.S. Monday to talk Trump, tariffs and carbon tax, but played coy on any plans to seek the Liberal leadership. The former Bank of Canada and Bank of England governor appeared on “The Daily Show” with Jon Stewart for a 20-minute sit-down interview. 

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise
The Quebec government says it is worried about migrants crossing illegally into the United States from Canada, and is calling on the RCMP to deploy the necessary resources at the border. François Bonnardel, Quebec's public security minister, made the comments today in the provincial capital, one week before the inauguration of Donald Trump as U.S. president.

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise