Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. crews brace for extreme fire behaviour when winds from cold front hit northeast

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jun, 2025 01:40 PM
  • B.C. crews brace for extreme fire behaviour when winds from cold front hit northeast

The BC Wildfire Service says crews are preparing for "extreme fire behaviour" in the province's northeastern region as a second dry cold front is forecast to move through.

The service says wind gusts up to 80km/hr are expected in some areas, which could fan the flames and cause growth in the region that is the focus of the province's fire fight.

It will be the second cold front that has passed through the Fort Nelson area, with the first that moved through on Sunday causing increased fire behaviour.

The warning comes after the Pocket Knife Creek wildfire formed over the weekend, quickly growing into a wildfire of note, one of three in B.C.'s northeast that have prompted a series of evacuation orders.

That blaze is the result of two fires merging, and the service is now reporting that it spans more than 610 square kilometres.

The wildfire service is warning drivers that Highway 97 will remain closed north of Fort Nelson until this evening due to the Summit Lake Fire, another fire of note.

It is currently about 106 square kilometres in size and the service says the incoming cold front will bring conditions that may cause it to spread further. 

The Kiskatinaw River is the third fire of note in the province, listed at about 130 square kilometres in size. 

There are currently more than 80 fires burning across the province, with more than half listed as burning out of control.

The fires have prompted Environment Canada to issue a special air quality statement for the northeastern region, saying smoke is causing poor air quality and reduced visibility.

That statement, which covers Fort Nelson and the Peace River area, says conditions are expected to persist for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Picture Courtesy:  THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, B.C. Wildfire Service

MORE National ARTICLES

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says
The actual number of Ontario jobs affected by the 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods that Trump has signalled are coming will depend on what sectors are targeted, Ford said, but the ministries have told him it could be between 450,000 to 500,000.

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership
In a statement to her supporters, Clark said that her French skills are not developed enough and that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's decision last week to step aside and trigger a short leadership race "did not leave enough time" for the party to renew itself and grow.

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark decides not to run for Liberal leadership

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver
R-C-M-P in North Vancouver say officers have arrested a man in connection with several random assaults and arson. Police say the man assaulted two people randomly on Christmas Day, and later set fire to the front door of an apartment building unit on December 29th. 

Man arrested in connection with several random assaults and arson in North Vancouver

Electric vehicle rebates paused as federal program runs out of money

Electric vehicle rebates paused as federal program runs out of money
The federal government has paused an incentive program that offered Canadians rebates of up to $5,000 when buying or leasing electric vehicles. In an update on its website, Transport Canada says the Incentives for Zero-Emission Vehicles (iZEV) Program has been paused as "funds have been fully committed."

Electric vehicle rebates paused as federal program runs out of money

Environmentalists claim 'setback' for species protection in B.C. port expansion case

Environmentalists claim 'setback' for species protection in B.C. port expansion case
The David Suzuki Foundation, the Georgia Strait Alliance, the Raincoast Conservation Foundation and the Western Canada Wilderness Committee filed a legal challenge last June against the Roberts Bank Terminal 2 project in Delta, B.C.

Environmentalists claim 'setback' for species protection in B.C. port expansion case

Elections BC hasn't called in RCMP as Conservatives seek police probe of Surrey race

Elections BC hasn't called in RCMP as Conservatives seek police probe of Surrey race
Elections BC says it hasn't asked the RCMP to investigate a complaint from the B.C. Conservatives about alleged "voting irregularities" in the October provincial election, despite a call from the party for police to get involved.

Elections BC hasn't called in RCMP as Conservatives seek police probe of Surrey race