Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2026 10:56 AM
  • B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

A Vancouver-based firm that operates a mine site in Mexico where 10 workers were abducted last month has heard from "a number of families" that their relatives have been found dead, the company said Monday.

The statement posted on the website of Vizsla Silver Corp. said it is waiting for confirmation from Mexican authorities and would provide further updates as appropriate.

The company did not say how many of its abducted employees have been found dead after they were taken from the site in Concordia, Mexico.

The company is "devastated by this outcome and the tragic loss of life," Vizsla president Michael Konnert said in the statement.

"Our deepest condolences are with our colleagues' families, friends and co-workers, and the entire community of Concordia."

Konnert said the company was focused on the safe recovery of those who remain missing, while supporting all of the affected families.

Global Affairs Canada previously said it wasn't aware of any Canadians missing in the abduction at Vizsla's Panuco project site, a gold and silver mining operation in the state of Sinaloa.

Mexican authorities had announced Friday the discovery of bodies and remains in the area where the search for the missing workers was taking place.

The statement from the Mexican Attorney General's Office did not specify how many bodies were found, but said one of the bodies had the "characteristics of one of the people reported as missing."

The office also reported the arrests of four people believed to be tied to the disappearances.

A turf war has played out in the region for more than a year between two rival factions of the Sinaloa drug cartel.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Marco Ugarte

MORE National ARTICLES

Winter storm moves into Atlantic Canada, bringing wet snow and power outages

Winter storm moves into Atlantic Canada, bringing wet snow and power outages
A nor'easter has descended on Atlantic Canada bringing heavy snow, rain and strong winds to the region. In Nova Scotia, the storm’s strong winds were being blamed on Wednesday for knocking out electricity to almost 30,000 homes and businesses served by Nova Scotia Power. Outages were reported across the province, from Yarmouth in the southwest to Sydney in the northeast.

Winter storm moves into Atlantic Canada, bringing wet snow and power outages

Saskatchewan's government earmarking additional $1 billion in spending

Saskatchewan's government earmarking additional $1 billion in spending
Saskatchewan's government is poised to spend an extra $1 billion this year, a move that would sink the province's finances deeper into the red.

Saskatchewan's government earmarking additional $1 billion in spending

Canada's competition commissioner leaving job months before term ends

Canada's competition commissioner leaving job months before term ends
Canada's competition commissioner is leaving his post two months before his term comes to an end. Matthew Boswell says in a media statement he will end his term on Dec. 17, for personal reasons, ahead of his planned end date of February 2026.

Canada's competition commissioner leaving job months before term ends

Activists mark World AIDS Day by calling for criminal reform, prevention funding

Activists mark World AIDS Day by calling for criminal reform, prevention funding
Activists marked World AIDS Day on Monday by calling on the federal government to honour a Trudeau government promise to reform the laws on HIV disclosure, and to provide enough funding to get Canada's efforts to end the pandemic back on track.

Activists mark World AIDS Day by calling for criminal reform, prevention funding

University says event with One BC leader on residential schools not permitted

University says event with One BC leader on residential schools not permitted
The University of Victoria says it isn't allowing an event involving the leader of the One BC political party and two people who have publicly questioned suspected unmarked graves on the grounds of a former residential school in Kamloops.

University says event with One BC leader on residential schools not permitted

Alberta government to detail plan to fight federal gun buyback program

Alberta government to detail plan to fight federal gun buyback program
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says more details are expected today on her government's proposed plan to fight Ottawa's gun buyback program.

Alberta government to detail plan to fight federal gun buyback program