Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2026 10:56 AM
  • B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

A Vancouver-based firm that operates a mine site in Mexico where 10 workers were abducted last month has heard from "a number of families" that their relatives have been found dead, the company said Monday.

The statement posted on the website of Vizsla Silver Corp. said it is waiting for confirmation from Mexican authorities and would provide further updates as appropriate.

The company did not say how many of its abducted employees have been found dead after they were taken from the site in Concordia, Mexico.

The company is "devastated by this outcome and the tragic loss of life," Vizsla president Michael Konnert said in the statement.

"Our deepest condolences are with our colleagues' families, friends and co-workers, and the entire community of Concordia."

Konnert said the company was focused on the safe recovery of those who remain missing, while supporting all of the affected families.

Global Affairs Canada previously said it wasn't aware of any Canadians missing in the abduction at Vizsla's Panuco project site, a gold and silver mining operation in the state of Sinaloa.

Mexican authorities had announced Friday the discovery of bodies and remains in the area where the search for the missing workers was taking place.

The statement from the Mexican Attorney General's Office did not specify how many bodies were found, but said one of the bodies had the "characteristics of one of the people reported as missing."

The office also reported the arrests of four people believed to be tied to the disappearances.

A turf war has played out in the region for more than a year between two rival factions of the Sinaloa drug cartel.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Marco Ugarte

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. community holds vigil to mourn deaths, losses in deadly Hong Kong fire

B.C. community holds vigil to mourn deaths, losses in deadly Hong Kong fire
Family members of more than 150 people who died when seven highrises burned in Hong Kong last week "deserve the truth," said Phoebe Wong, who attended a memorial in Vancouver late Sunday for those killed. 

B.C. community holds vigil to mourn deaths, losses in deadly Hong Kong fire

Calgary man found guilty of three terrorism-related charges tied to ISIS

Calgary man found guilty of three terrorism-related charges tied to ISIS
An Alberta judge said a man who willingly joined an Islamic State group in the Middle East over a decade ago knew what he was doing and found him guilty Monday of three counts of participation in a terrorist group.

Calgary man found guilty of three terrorism-related charges tied to ISIS

Miller named new culture minister as Carney fills gaps left by Guilbeault

Miller named new culture minister as Carney fills gaps left by Guilbeault
Prime Minister Mark Carney named Montreal MP Marc Miller as the new minister of Canadian identity and culture on Monday in a small cabinet shuffle to fill holes created when Steven Guilbeault resigned from cabinet last week.

Miller named new culture minister as Carney fills gaps left by Guilbeault

Liberal minister backs Bloc call to eliminate religious exemption for hate speech

Liberal minister backs Bloc call to eliminate religious exemption for hate speech
Culture Minister Marc Miller is expressing support for the removal of a religious exemption for hate speech in the Criminal Code.

Liberal minister backs Bloc call to eliminate religious exemption for hate speech

Carney to address Assembly of First Nations

Carney to address Assembly of First Nations
Prime Minister Mark Carney will address hundreds of First Nations chiefs gathered in Ottawa today for the December meeting of the Assembly of First Nations.

Carney to address Assembly of First Nations

Kane Carter guilty of murdering gangster and bystander in Vancouver shooting

Kane Carter guilty of murdering gangster and bystander in Vancouver shooting
The man accused of killing an innocent teenager and a gang member in a 2018 shootout on a busy Vancouver road has been convicted of two counts of second-degree murder.

Kane Carter guilty of murdering gangster and bystander in Vancouver shooting