Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2026 10:56 AM
  • B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

A Vancouver-based firm that operates a mine site in Mexico where 10 workers were abducted last month has heard from "a number of families" that their relatives have been found dead, the company said Monday.

The statement posted on the website of Vizsla Silver Corp. said it is waiting for confirmation from Mexican authorities and would provide further updates as appropriate.

The company did not say how many of its abducted employees have been found dead after they were taken from the site in Concordia, Mexico.

The company is "devastated by this outcome and the tragic loss of life," Vizsla president Michael Konnert said in the statement.

"Our deepest condolences are with our colleagues' families, friends and co-workers, and the entire community of Concordia."

Konnert said the company was focused on the safe recovery of those who remain missing, while supporting all of the affected families.

Global Affairs Canada previously said it wasn't aware of any Canadians missing in the abduction at Vizsla's Panuco project site, a gold and silver mining operation in the state of Sinaloa.

Mexican authorities had announced Friday the discovery of bodies and remains in the area where the search for the missing workers was taking place.

The statement from the Mexican Attorney General's Office did not specify how many bodies were found, but said one of the bodies had the "characteristics of one of the people reported as missing."

The office also reported the arrests of four people believed to be tied to the disappearances.

A turf war has played out in the region for more than a year between two rival factions of the Sinaloa drug cartel.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Marco Ugarte

MORE National ARTICLES

Review of B.C.'s emissions strategy says LNG push threatens to wipe out cuts

Review of B.C.'s emissions strategy says LNG push threatens to wipe out cuts
A report commissioned by British Columbia's government says its pursuit of new natural gas projects "threatens to set back progress" in reducing greenhouse emissions and the province is expected to fail its 2030 target. 

Review of B.C.'s emissions strategy says LNG push threatens to wipe out cuts

Supreme Court of Canada returns murder case to Nova Scotia Court of Appeal

Supreme Court of Canada returns murder case to Nova Scotia Court of Appeal
The Supreme Court of Canada has sent a murder case back to the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal in light of potential new evidence.

Supreme Court of Canada returns murder case to Nova Scotia Court of Appeal

Elections Canada says protocol wasn't followed in Nunavik during federal election

Elections Canada says protocol wasn't followed in Nunavik during federal election
Elections Canada says voting services in Nunavik during the spring federal election were "significantly hindered" by a lack of planning and oversight that caused some polls to close early.

Elections Canada says protocol wasn't followed in Nunavik during federal election

Carney, Smith sign pipeline deal, open door to changing B.C. tanker ban

Carney, Smith sign pipeline deal, open door to changing B.C. tanker ban
Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith have signed a memorandum of understanding that commits them to working toward building an oil pipeline to the West Coast — and opens the door to changes to the coastal tanker ban.

Carney, Smith sign pipeline deal, open door to changing B.C. tanker ban

Man dies in southern Manitoba after losing control on electric scooter, RCMP say

Man dies in southern Manitoba after losing control on electric scooter, RCMP say
Mounties say a 46-year-old man died after losing control on an electric scooter in southern Manitoba.

Man dies in southern Manitoba after losing control on electric scooter, RCMP say

Hong Kong Canadians reeling after deadly highrise inferno

Hong Kong Canadians reeling after deadly highrise inferno
Canadians with roots in Hong Kong have been watching in horror at news of the fire that tore through seven highrise towers in the Chinese special administrative region, leaving dozens dead and hundreds missing.   

Hong Kong Canadians reeling after deadly highrise inferno