Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2026 10:56 AM
  • B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

A Vancouver-based firm that operates a mine site in Mexico where 10 workers were abducted last month has heard from "a number of families" that their relatives have been found dead, the company said Monday.

The statement posted on the website of Vizsla Silver Corp. said it is waiting for confirmation from Mexican authorities and would provide further updates as appropriate.

The company did not say how many of its abducted employees have been found dead after they were taken from the site in Concordia, Mexico.

The company is "devastated by this outcome and the tragic loss of life," Vizsla president Michael Konnert said in the statement.

"Our deepest condolences are with our colleagues' families, friends and co-workers, and the entire community of Concordia."

Konnert said the company was focused on the safe recovery of those who remain missing, while supporting all of the affected families.

Global Affairs Canada previously said it wasn't aware of any Canadians missing in the abduction at Vizsla's Panuco project site, a gold and silver mining operation in the state of Sinaloa.

Mexican authorities had announced Friday the discovery of bodies and remains in the area where the search for the missing workers was taking place.

The statement from the Mexican Attorney General's Office did not specify how many bodies were found, but said one of the bodies had the "characteristics of one of the people reported as missing."

The office also reported the arrests of four people believed to be tied to the disappearances.

A turf war has played out in the region for more than a year between two rival factions of the Sinaloa drug cartel.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Marco Ugarte

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Coastal First Nations vow oil pipeline to coast 'will never happen'

B.C. Coastal First Nations vow oil pipeline to coast 'will never happen'
The president of the Coastal First Nations in British Columbia says an oil pipeline linking Alberta to the province's north coast "will never happen."

B.C. Coastal First Nations vow oil pipeline to coast 'will never happen'

'December to remember': Winter will get off to an abrupt start, Weather Network says

'December to remember': Winter will get off to an abrupt start, Weather Network says
Blasts of frigid Arctic air could send temperatures tumbling in December and herald the arrival of a more "traditional Canadian winter," a meteorologist for the Weather Network predicts as it releases its seasonal outlook. 

'December to remember': Winter will get off to an abrupt start, Weather Network says

B.C. launching review of post-secondary education in wake of declining stability

B.C. launching review of post-secondary education in wake of declining stability
British Columbia is launching an independent review into its public post-secondary education system as enrolment drops and inflation rises. 

B.C. launching review of post-secondary education in wake of declining stability

Carney says his comment about speaking with Trump was a 'poor choice of words'

Carney says his comment about speaking with Trump was a 'poor choice of words'
Prime Minister Mark Carney says his recent reply to a question about the state of trade talks with the U.S. — "Who cares?" — amounted to "a poor choice of words."

Carney says his comment about speaking with Trump was a 'poor choice of words'

B.C. woman sentenced to 18 months in jail for money laundering in

B.C. woman sentenced to 18 months in jail for money laundering in
Securing a guilty plea in a British Columbia money laundering case that dates back to 2019 involved undercover officers and multiple search warrants, and organized crime investigators say they hope an 18-month jail sentence handed down this month is the first of many. 

B.C. woman sentenced to 18 months in jail for money laundering in

CBSA, PMO say they were not involved in MP announcing ban on Belfast band Kneecap

CBSA, PMO say they were not involved in MP announcing ban on Belfast band Kneecap
The Canada Border Services Agency and the Prime Minister's Office say they were not involved in an Ontario Liberal MP's announcement that members of the Belfast band Kneecap were banned from entering Canada.

CBSA, PMO say they were not involved in MP announcing ban on Belfast band Kneecap