Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Feb, 2026 10:56 AM
  • B.C. firm says some workers found dead after abduction from Mexico mine

A Vancouver-based firm that operates a mine site in Mexico where 10 workers were abducted last month has heard from "a number of families" that their relatives have been found dead, the company said Monday.

The statement posted on the website of Vizsla Silver Corp. said it is waiting for confirmation from Mexican authorities and would provide further updates as appropriate.

The company did not say how many of its abducted employees have been found dead after they were taken from the site in Concordia, Mexico.

The company is "devastated by this outcome and the tragic loss of life," Vizsla president Michael Konnert said in the statement.

"Our deepest condolences are with our colleagues' families, friends and co-workers, and the entire community of Concordia."

Konnert said the company was focused on the safe recovery of those who remain missing, while supporting all of the affected families.

Global Affairs Canada previously said it wasn't aware of any Canadians missing in the abduction at Vizsla's Panuco project site, a gold and silver mining operation in the state of Sinaloa.

Mexican authorities had announced Friday the discovery of bodies and remains in the area where the search for the missing workers was taking place.

The statement from the Mexican Attorney General's Office did not specify how many bodies were found, but said one of the bodies had the "characteristics of one of the people reported as missing."

The office also reported the arrests of four people believed to be tied to the disappearances.

A turf war has played out in the region for more than a year between two rival factions of the Sinaloa drug cartel.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Marco Ugarte

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey awards phase one contract for Centre Block, paving the way for downtown transformation

Surrey awards phase one contract for Centre Block, paving the way for downtown transformation
Council has awarded a $2.75-million contract to RCP Consulting Ltd. for development manager services of phase one of the Centre Block project at City Centre. This is a significant step toward realizing the Surrey Centre Block Master Plan, set to transform Surrey’s downtown core with twice the area’s office and educational space and the new Simon Fraser University School of Medicine.  

Surrey awards phase one contract for Centre Block, paving the way for downtown transformation

B.C. government 'dashes' out digital tool to help build homes faster

B.C. government 'dashes' out digital tool to help build homes faster
British Columbia is launching a free, new digital tool aimed at helping developers and non-profit organizations design and build prefabricated homes faster and more cost-efficiently. 

B.C. government 'dashes' out digital tool to help build homes faster

How crypto raiders tortured B.C. family with waterboarding, sex assault, in $2M heist

How crypto raiders tortured B.C. family with waterboarding, sex assault, in $2M heist
When a woman answered a knock at the door of her home in Port Moody, B.C., in the spring of 2024, she was met by two men in Canada Post uniforms who said they had a package to deliver.

How crypto raiders tortured B.C. family with waterboarding, sex assault, in $2M heist

Grizzly attacks B.C. elementary class, many hurt

Grizzly attacks B.C. elementary class, many hurt
A grizzly bear has attacked a group of elementary school students and teachers in the B.C. central coast community of Bella Coola, leaving two people critically injured and two others seriously hurt.

Grizzly attacks B.C. elementary class, many hurt

Sidhu: $6-billion trade infrastructure fund key to doubling non-U.S. exports

Sidhu: $6-billion trade infrastructure fund key to doubling non-U.S. exports
International Trade Minister Maninder Sidhu said he's witnessed a sea change in interest for Canadian exports headed outside the United States amid the ongoing tariff war with the U.S.

Sidhu: $6-billion trade infrastructure fund key to doubling non-U.S. exports

Carney wraps United Arab Emirates visit with pledge of $70B investment in Canada

Carney wraps United Arab Emirates visit with pledge of $70B investment in Canada
Prime Minister Mark Carney says Ottawa is working on a $1-billion project aimed at expanding critical minerals processing capacity in Canada, while securing the equivalent of $70 billion in investment from the United Arab Emirates.

Carney wraps United Arab Emirates visit with pledge of $70B investment in Canada