Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2023 04:16 PM
  • B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

SAANICH, B.C. - The British Columbia government is investing millions to upgrade the 911 calling system, allowing for location tracking of callers and texting during emergencies.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the $150-million investment will upgrade the aging system to the Next Generation 911 system and make it more compatible with evolving technology.

Oliver Gruter-Andrew, the CEO of E-Comm 911, which handles most of B.C.'s emergency calls, says the funding is a game-changer for the public safety agency.

He says operators will be able to precisely track the location of a caller, receive a text in an emergency, and have new options on how they respond to people needing mental health support.

Up until now, local governments have been the main funders of the 911 service, but Gruter-Andrew says the looming financial costs have been daunting for cities and municipalities.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has mandated the implementation of Next Generation 911 and the decommissioning of current 911 networks in Canada by March 2025.

E-Comm is experiencing staffing shortages and there have been delays for those needing help during an emergency, but Farnworth says that isn't the focus of this announcement.

"This is about upgrading the technology that allows the individuals at 911 to be able to do their job," he said. "So, it will be an improvement in the service, at the same time as other work (is) underway with E-Comm in terms of staffing and the operations side."

Gruter-Andrew says the new technology will make a difference to staffing requirements.

"Staffing pressure is the highest challenge for E-Comm and so many other agencies, whether it's in the first responder world or elsewhere," he said during the announcement Wednesday at Firehall No. 1 in Saanich, B.C.

"I see this as a fundamental platform build on which we can develop solutions that will help us with the staffing crisis as well as other challenges."

MORE National ARTICLES

Random airport COVID tests paused for vaccinated

Random airport COVID tests paused for vaccinated
The government previously said current public health measures would remain in place until the end of June, but has been facing mounting pressure from industry and opposition to improve the chaotic situation playing out in Canada's airports.

Random airport COVID tests paused for vaccinated

Lytton, B.C., rebuild likely to begin in the fall

Lytton, B.C., rebuild likely to begin in the fall
That would be 15 months after an out-of-control wildfire swept through and burned 90 per cent of the community. Both Mike Farnworth and federal Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair praised the response of both levels of government as quick and expeditious.

Lytton, B.C., rebuild likely to begin in the fall

Streamflow warning up on rivers hit by last flood

Streamflow warning up on rivers hit by last flood
Rain from last week is still moving through reservoirs, prompting a high streamflow advisory for the Nicola River, the same river that was flooded last November, washing away large sections of Highway 8 and stranding communities.

Streamflow warning up on rivers hit by last flood

Consider charges against officer: B.C. watchdog

Consider charges against officer: B.C. watchdog
The Independent Investigations Office says in a statement that it filed a report with the BC Prosecution Service for consideration of charges. The office says the shooting happened Jan. 12 last year when police responded to a report of a man involved in a domestic incident in Chilliwack.

Consider charges against officer: B.C. watchdog

B.C. money laundering report released next week

B.C. money laundering report released next week
Premier John Horgan appointed Cullen in May 2019 to lead the inquiry after several reports determined billions of dollars linked to organized crime and the drug trade had affected B.C.'s gaming sector and the real estate and luxury vehicle markets.

B.C. money laundering report released next week

22 year old man stabbed in Surrey, suspects described as South Asian males

22 year old man stabbed in Surrey, suspects described as South Asian males
On Thursday, June 9, at 8:58 p.m., Surrey RCMP received a report of a stabbing in the 10200-block 168 Street. Upon arrival to the scene, police located a 22-year-old man with non-life threatening injuries who was transported to hospital, treated and later released.

22 year old man stabbed in Surrey, suspects described as South Asian males