Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2023 04:16 PM
  • B.C. invests $150 million in 911 system upgrade

SAANICH, B.C. - The British Columbia government is investing millions to upgrade the 911 calling system, allowing for location tracking of callers and texting during emergencies.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the $150-million investment will upgrade the aging system to the Next Generation 911 system and make it more compatible with evolving technology.

Oliver Gruter-Andrew, the CEO of E-Comm 911, which handles most of B.C.'s emergency calls, says the funding is a game-changer for the public safety agency.

He says operators will be able to precisely track the location of a caller, receive a text in an emergency, and have new options on how they respond to people needing mental health support.

Up until now, local governments have been the main funders of the 911 service, but Gruter-Andrew says the looming financial costs have been daunting for cities and municipalities.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has mandated the implementation of Next Generation 911 and the decommissioning of current 911 networks in Canada by March 2025.

E-Comm is experiencing staffing shortages and there have been delays for those needing help during an emergency, but Farnworth says that isn't the focus of this announcement.

"This is about upgrading the technology that allows the individuals at 911 to be able to do their job," he said. "So, it will be an improvement in the service, at the same time as other work (is) underway with E-Comm in terms of staffing and the operations side."

Gruter-Andrew says the new technology will make a difference to staffing requirements.

"Staffing pressure is the highest challenge for E-Comm and so many other agencies, whether it's in the first responder world or elsewhere," he said during the announcement Wednesday at Firehall No. 1 in Saanich, B.C.

"I see this as a fundamental platform build on which we can develop solutions that will help us with the staffing crisis as well as other challenges."

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa proposes warnings printed on each cigarette

Ottawa proposes warnings printed on each cigarette
The move builds on Canada's mandate to include graphic photo warnings on tobacco products' packaging — a groundbreaking policy that started an international trend when it was introduced two decades ago

Ottawa proposes warnings printed on each cigarette

112 cases of monkeypox now in Canada

112 cases of monkeypox now in Canada
Most of the cases are currently among men who said they had had sexual contact with other men, though the virus can spread to anyone who has had close physical contact with an infected person or "contaminated objects" such as blankets, she said.

112 cases of monkeypox now in Canada

B.C. Liberals consider name change at convention

B.C. Liberals consider name change at convention
About 800 delegates are registered to attend and launch a process that could result in a name change. Kevin Falcon, who won the leadership race earlier this year, promised to renew and rebuild the party in consultation with members.

B.C. Liberals consider name change at convention

Unemployment rate falls to new record low: StatCan

Unemployment rate falls to new record low: StatCan
The increase came as the unemployment rate fell to 5.1 per cent, the lowest rate since at least 1976 which is as far back as comparable data goes. The unemployment rate was 5.2 per cent in April.

Unemployment rate falls to new record low: StatCan

Canada to take 4,000 more migrants by 2028

Canada to take 4,000 more migrants by 2028
The agreement also includes an additional 50,000 agricultural workers this year from Mexico, Guatemala and the Caribbean. The federal government is also spending $26.9 million in 2022-23 on measures to address the root causes of irregular migration.    

Canada to take 4,000 more migrants by 2028

Full search ends for boater missing off Vancouver

Full search ends for boater missing off Vancouver
Vancouver police confirm a 46-year-old Surrey, B.C., man has not been seen since renting a motorboat from Granville Island on Wednesday. Police say he was planning to cross English Bay heading toward Bowen Island.    

Full search ends for boater missing off Vancouver