Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Dec, 2024 12:33 PM
  • B.C. launches review of 911 services after complaints about costs, transparency

British Columbia is launching a review of the province's 911 emergency service after complaints about escalating costs and lack of transparency.

Public Safety Minister Garry Begg says in a statement the review is to "ensure these services remain effective and sustainable for years to come" and to understand the cost increases.

Premier David Eby had said in September during his keynote address to the Union of BC Municipalities that he intended to conduct an independent study into 911 services.

The Public Safety Ministry says municipalities, law enforcement and other emergency services have raised concerns over a "lack of operational and financial transparency" and "unsustainable levy increases" at E-Comm, the non-profit that maintains the 911 system.

Begg's office says the independent study will review E-Comm's financial records to assess sustainability and efficiency, and recommendations on improvements will be made.

The union representing B.C.'s emergency communications professionals says in a separate news release that it's eager to participate in the review, and members have been "raising alarm bells" about 911 service and staffing for years.

“It’s not just about service and response levels,” says Donald Grant, president of CUPE 8911. “There are serious problems with the governance structure at E-Comm, which led to a lack of accountability and transparency to the communities and the people it is meant to serve.”

The province says 911 services will not be disrupted during the review.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Prince Harry, wife Meghan visit B.C. this week in one-year lead-up to Invictus Games

Prince Harry, wife Meghan visit B.C. this week in one-year lead-up to Invictus Games
Prince Harry and Meghan are in B.C. this week for the participating nations camp, where Invictus Games athletes and coaches from 19 countries will convene for lessons in the sports, including the new winter sports added to the 2025 Games of alpine skiing, snowboarding, skeleton, biathlon and wheelchair curling.   

Prince Harry, wife Meghan visit B.C. this week in one-year lead-up to Invictus Games

Economic anxiety high, faith in political leaders low in Canada, survey suggests

Economic anxiety high, faith in political leaders low in Canada, survey suggests
Canadians are stressed out about the economy and have little faith in politicians or governments to fix big problems, a new survey suggests. The annual CanTrust Index published by Proof Strategies queries Canadians about their level in trust in everything from political leaders and businesses to corporations, the media, bankers and scientists.

Economic anxiety high, faith in political leaders low in Canada, survey suggests

One person taken to hospital after cougar attack in Banff National Park

One person taken to hospital after cougar attack in Banff National Park
A cougar attack in a popular wilderness area of Banff National Park has left one person with minor injuries. EMS crews responded to the Rockbound Lake trailhead around 11 a.m. on Monday for reports that a person had been attacked by a cougar, said Alberta Health Services. 

One person taken to hospital after cougar attack in Banff National Park

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities
The federal government will roll out more than 60 housing agreements with small and rural communities across the country over the next few weeks, Housing Minister Sean Fraser announced Tuesday. Fraser said in a news conference that the deals are worth $176 million and will help build more than 50,000 housing units over the next decade.  

Fraser announces $176 million in housing deals with more than 60 rural communities

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital
Police in Coquitlam say they're investigating a shooting late Sunday night that injured two people in a parking lot.  Mounties say they went to the lot near Barnet Highway and Pinetree Way just before midnight on February 11th. 

Coquitlam shooting lands 2 in hospital

One dead in White Rock blaze

One dead in White Rock blaze
White Rock fire officials say one person is dead after a blaze broke out in an apartment unit. Firefighters were called to the building over the weekend and contained the blaze to one apartment, but there was water and smoke damage in other areas.

One dead in White Rock blaze