Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Mill Owners, Operator To Review Ruling After Workers' Deaths In Blast

The Canadian Press, 06 Aug, 2015 10:58 AM
    VANCOUVER — The owners of a northern British Columbia sawmill and its operator say they will review the recommendations of a coroners inquest into the deaths of two workers in an explosion.
     
    Hampton Affiliates and Babine Forest Products say they will also discuss last week's ruling with employees in the next 60 days.
     
    The inquest concluded that 45-year-old Robert Luggi and 42-year-old Carl Charlie died accidentally after a January 2012 blast at the mill about 200 kilometres west of Prince George.
     
    A WorkSafeBC investigation revealed an accumulation of wood dust was a major factor in the disaster that also injured 19 other workers and flattened the mill.
     
    The jury made 33 recommendations, and the coroner came up with another eight on how similar tragedies could be avoided in the future, including that the company ensure compliance with the National Fire Code.
     
    Babine Forest Products and Hampton Affiliates say the new mill was designed to meet or exceed all current fire, dust and electrical regulations.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Grimm's Fine Foods Home Style Roast Beef Sold At Delis Across Canada Recalled

    Grimm's Fine Foods Home Style Roast Beef Sold At Delis Across Canada Recalled
    TORONTO — The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says a popular roast beef brand sold across the country is being recalled over possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination.

    Grimm's Fine Foods Home Style Roast Beef Sold At Delis Across Canada Recalled

    Wildfire Overtakes Sask First Nation; Unknown Number Of Buildings Burn

    Wildfire Overtakes Sask First Nation; Unknown Number Of Buildings Burn
    MONTREAL LAKE, Sask. — Wind-whipped wildfires engulfed a northern Saskatchewan community Friday and burned at least two homes to the ground.

    Wildfire Overtakes Sask First Nation; Unknown Number Of Buildings Burn

    With All Eyes On Women's World Cup, Soccer Union Wants To Increase Support For Female Players

    With All Eyes On Women's World Cup, Soccer Union Wants To Increase Support For Female Players
    VANCOUVER — The union for soccer players around the world wants to increase support for female players.

    With All Eyes On Women's World Cup, Soccer Union Wants To Increase Support For Female Players

    Air Canada Warns Of Possible Disruptions After Job Action At Toronto Airport

    Air Canada Warns Of Possible Disruptions After Job Action At Toronto Airport
    TORONTO — Air Canada is advising passengers that their plans could be disrupted Saturday as the airline recovers from a job action by workers at Toronto Pearson International Airport.

    Air Canada Warns Of Possible Disruptions After Job Action At Toronto Airport

    Victim Surcharge Unconstitutional For Homeless Man Who Can't Pay It: B.C. Judge

    Victim Surcharge Unconstitutional For Homeless Man Who Can't Pay It: B.C. Judge
    A judge says a mandatory $200 victim surcharge violates a Vancouver homeless man's charter rights. Bruce Barinecutt argued he can't afford to pay the fine and that it amounted to cruel and unusual punishment.

    Victim Surcharge Unconstitutional For Homeless Man Who Can't Pay It: B.C. Judge

    Evacuees Allowed To Return Home As Crews Contain Wildfire In Nanaimo, B.C.

    Evacuees Allowed To Return Home As Crews Contain Wildfire In Nanaimo, B.C.
    Officials in Ladysmith, B.C. say crews contained a 20-hectare grass fire south of Nanaimo on Thursday night and are working to clear the area of embers.

    Evacuees Allowed To Return Home As Crews Contain Wildfire In Nanaimo, B.C.