Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Mill Owners, Operator To Review Ruling After Workers' Deaths In Blast

The Canadian Press, 06 Aug, 2015 10:58 AM
    VANCOUVER — The owners of a northern British Columbia sawmill and its operator say they will review the recommendations of a coroners inquest into the deaths of two workers in an explosion.
     
    Hampton Affiliates and Babine Forest Products say they will also discuss last week's ruling with employees in the next 60 days.
     
    The inquest concluded that 45-year-old Robert Luggi and 42-year-old Carl Charlie died accidentally after a January 2012 blast at the mill about 200 kilometres west of Prince George.
     
    A WorkSafeBC investigation revealed an accumulation of wood dust was a major factor in the disaster that also injured 19 other workers and flattened the mill.
     
    The jury made 33 recommendations, and the coroner came up with another eight on how similar tragedies could be avoided in the future, including that the company ensure compliance with the National Fire Code.
     
    Babine Forest Products and Hampton Affiliates say the new mill was designed to meet or exceed all current fire, dust and electrical regulations.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Edmonton Man Charged With 2 Counts Of Murder At Alberta Oil Industry Work Camp

    Edmonton Man Charged With 2 Counts Of Murder At Alberta Oil Industry Work Camp
    RCMP say a 37-year-old man and a 50-year-old woman were stabbed early Tuesday morning at the oil industry camp near Fox Creek, Alta.

    Edmonton Man Charged With 2 Counts Of Murder At Alberta Oil Industry Work Camp

    Wildfire Forces B.C. Mayor To Issue Evacuation Order For Oil And Gas Facility

    Wildfire Forces B.C. Mayor To Issue Evacuation Order For Oil And Gas Facility
    FORT NELSON, B.C. — A municipality in northeastern British Columbia has declared a local state of emergency and issued an evacuation order for an oil and gas facility due to a nearby wildfire.

    Wildfire Forces B.C. Mayor To Issue Evacuation Order For Oil And Gas Facility

    Paul Bernardo Applies For Day Parole In Toronto; Families Of Victims Devastated

    Paul Bernardo Applies For Day Parole In Toronto; Families Of Victims Devastated
    The lawyer for the families of Bernardo's murder victims, 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy and 15-year-old Kristen French, said Correctional Service Canada sent out a form letter to the families last week advising them of his application.

    Paul Bernardo Applies For Day Parole In Toronto; Families Of Victims Devastated

    Olympic Bobsled Champion Kaillie Humphries Leads Calgary Stampede Parade

    Olympic Bobsled Champion Kaillie Humphries Leads Calgary Stampede Parade
    Two-time Olympic bobsled champion Kaillie Humphries says being the Stampede parade marshal is a dream come true.

    Olympic Bobsled Champion Kaillie Humphries Leads Calgary Stampede Parade

    RCMP To Stand Sentry At National War Memorial To Honour Historic Officer

    RCMP To Stand Sentry At National War Memorial To Honour Historic Officer
    OTTAWA — RCMP members will stand sentry at Canada's National War Memorial on Sunday to mark the anniversary an officer who received the Victoria Cross for bravery during the South African War.

    RCMP To Stand Sentry At National War Memorial To Honour Historic Officer

    Canadian Spies Relied On 'Assurances' From Foreign Agencies Not To Torture

    Canadian Spies Relied On 'Assurances' From Foreign Agencies Not To Torture
    Newly released memos show Canada's spy agency revealed its interest in people to foreign partners in two cases after receiving assurances the individuals would not be tortured

    Canadian Spies Relied On 'Assurances' From Foreign Agencies Not To Torture