Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings
Canadian wildfires are continuing to send heavy clouds of smoke south, from Northern Ontario and Quebec, through both provinces and into the United States. Environment Canada has issued special air quality statements for large areas of Ontario and Quebec warning of high levels of air pollution due to the smoke.

Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Canada welcomes largest number of immigrants in first quarter since at least 1972

Canada welcomes largest number of immigrants in first quarter since at least 1972
Statistics Canada says the country welcomed more than 145,000 immigrants during the first three months of the year. That's the highest number for a single quarter on record, since comparable data became available in 1972.

Canada welcomes largest number of immigrants in first quarter since at least 1972

B.C. port union issues 72-hour strike notice affecting 7,400 workers

B.C. port union issues 72-hour strike notice affecting 7,400 workers
The union representing port workers in British Columbia says it has issued 72-hour strike notice and its members are ready to walk off the job on Saturday. The strike notice affects about 7,400 terminal cargo loaders and 49 of the province's waterfront employers in more than 30 B.C. ports.

B.C. port union issues 72-hour strike notice affecting 7,400 workers

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing female Navjot Baring

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing female Navjot Baring
UPDATE: The Surrey RCMP is pleased to confirm that the 22-year-old female who was reported missing on June 27, 2023 has been located.  

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing female Navjot Baring

B.C. agrees to delay ending immigration detention in correctional centres

B.C. agrees to delay ending immigration detention in correctional centres
Farnworth has now approved a "one-time" three-month extension of the deal until the end of October at the request of federal Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino, on the condition that no new detainees will be accepted after July 31. 

B.C. agrees to delay ending immigration detention in correctional centres

Armed robbery in New Westminster

Armed robbery in New Westminster
Police flooded the area and soon located someone matching the suspect description at 6th Avenue and 8th Street. The suspect fled from police and after a foot pursuit, he was arrested. An officer was transported to local hospital after sustaining an injury during the foot pursuit.

Armed robbery in New Westminster