Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada bans testing of cosmetics on animals, in line with dozens of other countries

Canada bans testing of cosmetics on animals, in line with dozens of other countries
In addition to barring companies from testing their cosmetic products on animals in Canada, the regulations prevent new products that rely on animal testing data to establish product safety from being sold in this country.

Canada bans testing of cosmetics on animals, in line with dozens of other countries

Charges laid against 3 in robbery

Charges laid against 3 in robbery
On December 23rd of last year,  Surrey RCMP received a report of a personal robbery on a post-secondary school campus located in the 13400-block of 102 Avenue. Prior to police arrival it was reported that three suspects had fled with the victim’s phone and backpack.

Charges laid against 3 in robbery

Rodriguez says newsrooms will be supported should Meta, Google block news

Rodriguez says newsrooms will be supported should Meta, Google block news
The Liberal government's Online News Act became law last week, requiring tech companies such as Google and Meta to negotiate deals compensating media outlets for news content they share or otherwise repurpose on their platforms.

Rodriguez says newsrooms will be supported should Meta, Google block news

Expanded restrictions in Vancouver to stop spread of damaging Japanese beetle

Expanded restrictions in Vancouver to stop spread of damaging Japanese beetle
The invasive pest was first detected in Vancouver's False Creek area in 2017. The iridescent copper and green coloured beetle can significantly damage landscape and ornamental plants, fruit and vegetable gardens, nurseries, orchards and crops.

Expanded restrictions in Vancouver to stop spread of damaging Japanese beetle

Man beaten in Kamloops' downtown

Man beaten in Kamloops' downtown
R-C-M-P in Kamloops are looking to speak with witnesses after a man was reportedly beaten while sleeping outside in the city's downtown. The Mounties say it happened yesterday morning at around 9 a-m at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Seymour Street.

Man beaten in Kamloops' downtown

B.C. to provide up to 8,000 free air conditioners to low-income, vulnerable people

B.C. to provide up to 8,000 free air conditioners to low-income, vulnerable people
Health Minister Adrian Dix said Tuesday that the funding to BC Hydro will provide up to 8,000 air-conditioning units over the next three years, but if demand increases, that number could also go up.  Dix said people can apply for the units on their own or health officials working with elderly people will be able to help them get a unit. 

B.C. to provide up to 8,000 free air conditioners to low-income, vulnerable people