Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Province announces 100K in mental health for South Asians

Province announces 100K in mental health for South Asians
The funding will support three part-time outreach workers and others who will engage South Asians who are homeless or at risk of being homeless. The supports are expected to help between 50 and 75 people who use drugs as well as 150 to 200 family members.  

Province announces 100K in mental health for South Asians

Thousands mourn Sikh leader's funeral

Thousands mourn Sikh leader's funeral
Thousands of mourners from the Sikh community descended upon the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara in Surrey on Sunday morning, to pay respects to the Gurdwara president, Hardeep Singh Nijjar. Nijjar was shot mutliple times a week ago in the parking lot of the Gurdwara and killed in his truck.

Thousands mourn Sikh leader's funeral

Advocates urge B.C. leaders to halt planned evictions at Abbotsford, B.C., tent camp

Advocates urge B.C. leaders to halt planned evictions at Abbotsford, B.C., tent camp
The BC Civil Liberties Association and Pivot Legal Society want Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon to stop any evictions at the Lonzo Park encampment, located on provincially owned land originally intended as a park-and-ride in Abbotsford. The letter reminds Kahlon that several B.C. Supreme Court rulings have found forcible eviction is illegal when other housing options are inadequate.  

Advocates urge B.C. leaders to halt planned evictions at Abbotsford, B.C., tent camp

Man in hospital with serious injuries, IIO called in

Man in hospital with serious injuries, IIO called in
A man is in hospital with serious injuries and B-C's independent police watchdog -- the Independent Investigations Office -- has been called to the scene. The I-I-O says police say they were called to a report of a potentially impaired driver on Highway 1 through West Vancouver and told investigators there was an exchange of gunfire as they arrived.

Man in hospital with serious injuries, IIO called in

Sunshine Coast shooting victim identified

Sunshine Coast shooting victim identified
Investigators say a 56-year-old from Sechelt died from multiple gunshot wounds early Thursday morning. The victim was found outside a residence in Halfmoon Bay and died at the scene.

Sunshine Coast shooting victim identified

Abbotsford home invasion, 3 arrested

Abbotsford home invasion, 3 arrested
Police in Abbotsford, B-C, have arrested three suspects in connection with a home invasion this week. R-C-M-P say officers responded to a call Friday afternoon in the 33-thousand block of George Ferguson Way area.

Abbotsford home invasion, 3 arrested