Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver hiker found dead near Lions Bay

Vancouver hiker found dead near Lions Bay
The search for a man who went missing during a hike near Lions Bay off the Sea to Sky highway has been called off. Lions Bay emergency program coordinator Phil Folkersen says a body has been found and it is believed to be that of Michael Tu.

Vancouver hiker found dead near Lions Bay

Man charged in Maple Ridge homicide

Man charged in Maple Ridge homicide
A 31-year-old man has been charged with second degree murder in the 2022 death of Arthur Comeau of Maple Ridge. R-C-M-P say the 41-year-old was shot to death on April 28th of last year.

Man charged in Maple Ridge homicide

2 people found dead in Kelowna home

2 people found dead in Kelowna home
They say officers responded to a 9-1-1 call last night from a home on Swan Drive. The bodies of two people were found inside the home. Police say they believe the incident was isolated and that there is no threat to public safety.  

2 people found dead in Kelowna home

David Johnston quits as special rapporteur on foreign interference

David Johnston quits as special rapporteur on foreign interference
Johnston's appointment has been contentious, with Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre repeatedly accusing him of being too close to Trudeau's family to provide an unbiased review of government actions.

David Johnston quits as special rapporteur on foreign interference

B.C. to require licence for asbestos abatement contractors by 2024

B.C. to require licence for asbestos abatement contractors by 2024
The Labour Ministry says workers must be licensed by Jan. 1. This comes following changes to the Workers Compensation Act last year, requiring that contractors who remove the cancer-causing material use only trained and certified workers.   

B.C. to require licence for asbestos abatement contractors by 2024

Shots fired in Port Coquitlam

Shots fired in Port Coquitlam
On Tuesday, at 1:44 am, Coquitlam RCMP received multiple reports of shots being fired in the 2000-block of Shaughnessy Place, Port Coquitlam. Officers immediately responded and located the victim residence. No one was physically injured during the incident. 

Shots fired in Port Coquitlam