Thursday, September 28, 2023
ADVT 
National

David Johnston quits as special rapporteur on foreign interference

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jun, 2023 03:31 PM
  • David Johnston quits as special rapporteur on foreign interference

OTTAWA — David Johnston says he is stepping down from his role as special rapporteur investigating foreign interference before the end of June, citing the highly partisan atmosphere around his work.

The former governor general said in a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Friday that his objective in leading the government's probe into alleged meddling by China was to help build trust in democratic institutions.

"I have concluded that, given the highly partisan atmosphere around my appointment and work, my leadership has had the opposite effect," he said. 

Johnston's appointment has been contentious, with Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre repeatedly accusing him of being too close to Trudeau's family to provide an unbiased review of government actions.

All opposition parties have been calling for the government to call a public inquiry into foreign interference.

Beginning last fall, the Globe and Mail and Global News published a series of reports that cited allegations there was a co-ordinated effort by Beijing to interfere in the last two federal elections.

In March, facing increasing pressure inside and outside the House of Commons, Trudeau named Johnston as special rapporteur and tasked him with setting a path forward for the government in tackling the issue. He was asked to report back by May 23 on whether that should include a public inquiry.

"A deep and comprehensive review of foreign interference, its effects and how to prevent it should be an urgent priority for your government and our Parliament," Johnston wrote Friday. 

He reiterated the conclusion he came to in his report last month, which said that a public inquiry would not be useful given the constraints of national security laws and the amount of classified information that will be dealt with. 

He suggested public hearings should be held to educate Canadians about how foreign interference happens and how to manage it.

Johnston said he will release a brief final report no later than the end of June, and that will conclude his work.

As he stepped aside, Johnston encouraged Trudeau to appoint a "respected person with national security experience" to finish the work he started, and suggested he consult with opposition parties on who that should be.

Opposition politicians said the resignation is another signal that a public inquiry should begin.

"David Johnston has done the right thing," NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh tweeted Friday. "Now the prime minister must call a public inquiry, so that we can restore trust in our democracy."

Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet said in French that he salutes Johnston's dignified decision, and that Trudeau has no choice now but to call a public inquiry. 

Conservative MP Erin O'Toole called Johnston an "exceptional Canadian" in a tweet of his own, thanking him for his service to the country. 

"It is so disappointing that the prime minister used his stellar reputation as a political shield. It is time to finally call a national inquiry to look at how best to safeguard our democracy from interference," he wrote.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. to require licence for asbestos abatement contractors by 2024

B.C. to require licence for asbestos abatement contractors by 2024
The Labour Ministry says workers must be licensed by Jan. 1. This comes following changes to the Workers Compensation Act last year, requiring that contractors who remove the cancer-causing material use only trained and certified workers.   

B.C. to require licence for asbestos abatement contractors by 2024

Shots fired in Port Coquitlam

Shots fired in Port Coquitlam
On Tuesday, at 1:44 am, Coquitlam RCMP received multiple reports of shots being fired in the 2000-block of Shaughnessy Place, Port Coquitlam. Officers immediately responded and located the victim residence. No one was physically injured during the incident. 

Shots fired in Port Coquitlam

BC port strike vote

BC port strike vote
Both the union and the Maritime Employers Association -- which represents 49 private-sector employers at more than 30 B-C ports -- have agreed that June 24th is the earliest any job action could occur.

BC port strike vote

Eyes on the weather as fierce wildfire rages, forces evacuations in northeastern B.C.

Eyes on the weather as fierce wildfire rages, forces evacuations in northeastern B.C.
The extreme fire activity prompted the District of Tumbler Ridge to skip an evacuation alert Thursday and jump right to an order requiring all 2,400 residents to get out immediately and seek refuge in Dawson Creek or Fort St. John.  

Eyes on the weather as fierce wildfire rages, forces evacuations in northeastern B.C.

'These are the rules': Canada to deport Sikh family to India

'These are the rules': Canada to deport Sikh family to India
Hardeep Singh Chahal, his pregnant wife Kamaldeep Kaur and their three-year-old daughter, who live in Penticton, were given deportation orders last month for reasons withheld for privacy reasons, the Houston Today newspaper reported.

'These are the rules': Canada to deport Sikh family to India

Canada invites 4,800 candidates for Express Entry draw in June

Canada invites 4,800 candidates for Express Entry draw in June
The 14th draw of the country's flagship economic immigration management system on Thursday follows the most recent draw on May 24 in which 4,800 candidates with a minimum CRS score of 488 were invited.

Canada invites 4,800 candidates for Express Entry draw in June

PrevNext