Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's alcohol policies get a failing grade

Canada's alcohol policies get a failing grade
Researchers say the project looked at several different alcohol-related policy areas, including minimum pricing, taxation, and advertising, and their results include recommendations such as mandated warning labels and reduced availability hours.

Canada's alcohol policies get a failing grade

Feds provide funds for gender based violence in BC

Feds provide funds for gender based violence in BC
The Ministry of Public Safety says Ottawa's funding will enhance 24-hour crisis hotlines run by the Salal Sexual Violence Support Centre and the Indian Residential School Survivors Society. It says the province-wide crisis lines provide risk-assessment and safety planning services to those experiencing gender-based violence. 

Feds provide funds for gender based violence in BC

Attempted child luring in Coquitlam

Attempted child luring in Coquitlam
While a 10-year-old girl was walking home from Panorama Heights Elementary school located at 1455 Johnson Street in Coquitlam, they were approached by two unknown adult females in a vehicle. The suspects asked the girl to get into the vehicle for treats. The girl ran away to a nearby Coquitlam City Bylaw officer for assistance.  

Attempted child luring in Coquitlam

Mounties in Kelowna notify IIO after police dog injures man on run

Mounties in Kelowna notify IIO after police dog injures man on run
R-C-M-P say officers pulled over an stolen vehicle with four people inside. They say the occupants ran away when officers told them they were under arrest, including one man who was holding what was believed to be a weapon. 

Mounties in Kelowna notify IIO after police dog injures man on run

Flood warning for part of northwest B.C., other rivers rising as heat grips province

Flood warning for part of northwest B.C., other rivers rising as heat grips province
Flooding on the Skeena River could reach a 20-year high as early as Wednesday, the River Forecast Centre said. The ongoing hot weather is accelerating snowmelt across most of B.C., it said, estimating that the Bulkley River near Smithers could reach 10-year flow levels by Wednesday or Thursday.

Flood warning for part of northwest B.C., other rivers rising as heat grips province

Vancouver police say woman assaulted on busy beach by man claiming to be masseuse

Vancouver police say woman assaulted on busy beach by man claiming to be masseuse
The VPD says the suspect is a South Asian man with a medium build and was wearing a black hat, sunglasses, beige cargo shorts, and a white and blue striped shirt at the time of the alleged assault.

Vancouver police say woman assaulted on busy beach by man claiming to be masseuse