Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

High temps records broken in BC

High temps records broken in BC
Environment Canada says more than 30 daily high temperature records fell across B-C on Sunday, including in Squamish, where the mercury hit 35.8 degrees. The hot, sunny weather has raised the risks of wildfire and flooding and prompted an air quality advisory for northeastern parts of Metro Vancouver.

High temps records broken in BC

Autopsy showed 13-year-old B.C. teen was strangled, pathologist tells murder trial

Autopsy showed 13-year-old B.C. teen was strangled, pathologist tells murder trial
The body of the girl, who cannot be identified under the terms of a publication ban, was found in Burnaby's Central Park in July 2017, just hours after her mother had reported her missing. Ibrahim Ali last month pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the B.C. Supreme Court trial.  

Autopsy showed 13-year-old B.C. teen was strangled, pathologist tells murder trial

Vancouver to open outdoor pools on Saturday

Vancouver to open outdoor pools on Saturday
The city says designated swim areas at eight beaches will be patrolled from 11:30 a-m to 8:30 p-m daily. The hours will change later in the summer as the sun sets earlier.

Vancouver to open outdoor pools on Saturday

Janice Abbott, embattled CEO of B.C. housing operator Atira, resigns after audit

Janice Abbott, embattled CEO of B.C. housing operator Atira, resigns after audit
Janice Abbott resigned with immediate effect, the society announced Monday. Elva Kim, who chairs the board of Atira, said in a statement that she's confident Abbott's resignation would allow Atira to continue its work with "fewer distractions."

Janice Abbott, embattled CEO of B.C. housing operator Atira, resigns after audit

Global, economic security top priorities as Trudeau heads to South Korea, G7 summit

Global, economic security top priorities as Trudeau heads to South Korea, G7 summit
The prime minister is expected to be in Seoul between May 16 and May 18, after South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol's visit to Ottawa last fall. Since then, both countries have released their Indo-Pacific strategies, plans that aim to counterbalance Chinese influence by increasing economic and military ties in the region.

Global, economic security top priorities as Trudeau heads to South Korea, G7 summit

Ex-Vancouver mayor, Kennedy Stewart, takes aim at current mayor Ken Sim

Ex-Vancouver mayor, Kennedy Stewart, takes aim at current mayor Ken Sim
Kennedy Stewart says a memorandum of understanding between the city, the park board, and the province, meant to help people living in encampments, is being "recklessly disregarded." He describes Sim's support of the V-P-D in dismantling the tent encampment as "hyper colonial" and "cruel."  

Ex-Vancouver mayor, Kennedy Stewart, takes aim at current mayor Ken Sim