Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Experts warn of 'recovery scam' after sextortion

Experts warn of 'recovery scam' after sextortion
Darren Laur, chief training officer at White Hatter, an internet safety and digital literacy education company based in Victoria said the teen's family reached out to him with their story after the other firm told them there was nothing that could be done.

Experts warn of 'recovery scam' after sextortion

Window platform stuck on Vancouver highrise

Window platform stuck on Vancouver highrise
Several fire trucks snarled Georgia Street's eastbound lanes near the main library as firefighters worked to free the pair, who had been replacing glass on the Deloitte Summit tower when the platform refused to move Thursday morning.

Window platform stuck on Vancouver highrise

Court approves $2.8B class-action settlement

Court approves $2.8B class-action settlement
A Federal Court judge has approved a $2.8 billion settlement agreement between the Canadian government and plaintiffs representing 325 First Nations whose members went to residential day schools. Those members were ineligible for the 2006 settlement reached between Canada and full-time students at the schools.

Court approves $2.8B class-action settlement

New Westminster Police looking for suspect in bear spray assault

New Westminster Police looking for suspect in bear spray assault
Police searched the area for someone matching the suspect description, and provided aid to the victim. Despite searches of the surrounding area, no one matching the suspect description could be found.

New Westminster Police looking for suspect in bear spray assault

Ottawa to fast-track weapon purchases: Anand

Ottawa to fast-track weapon purchases: Anand
Anand announced the plan Thursday at the Conference of Defence Associations Institute, one of Canada's largest defence conferences, saying the new weapons are needed now for Canadian troops in Latvia and other parts of Europe.    

Ottawa to fast-track weapon purchases: Anand

COVID-19 impact on mental health limited: study

COVID-19 impact on mental health limited: study
Senior author Dr. Brett Thombs, a researcher at McGill University, said that coverage of the pandemic has mostly focused on snapshots of people whose mental health has deteriorated and people have generalized that to the overall population.

COVID-19 impact on mental health limited: study