Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Nov, 2023 11:13 AM
  • B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. 

RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

Dan McLaughlin of the BC Prosecution Service says the pair pleaded guilty to the lesser charge in a Port Alberni court on Monday.

He says a sentencing hearing will be held on May 16 and 17. 

When RCMP announced the murder charges in May of 2022 they said it was a tragic investigation that affected many people, including Dontay's classmates. 

Police said at the time it was a complex investigation, but wouldn't say what led them to a charge of first-degree murder, which implies planning and intent. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond stripped of B.C. award

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond stripped of B.C. award
The association says board members believed Turpel-Lafond's representations about her professional accomplishments and Cree heritage when it granted the award recognizing substantial contributions to civil liberties in B.C. and Canada.

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond stripped of B.C. award

B.C. government orders probe of Prince George RCMP

B.C. government orders probe of Prince George RCMP
The independent commission that ensures the impartial examination of complaints about the RCMP already issued an interim report to the RCMP commissioner about the matter and Farnworth's office says the commissioner agreed with the report's findings and recommendations.

B.C. government orders probe of Prince George RCMP

Surrey Council approves contract for 152 Street Road Widening Project

Surrey Council approves contract for 152 Street Road Widening Project
During Monday night’s meeting, Surrey Council also awarded a $594,278 Consultant Construction Agreement to McElhanney Ltd., and approved the expenditure of $850,000 payable to BC Hydro for the relocation and modification of BC Hydro infrastructure necessary for the project.

Surrey Council approves contract for 152 Street Road Widening Project

New West Police and BC anti-gang task force investigation results in seizure of guns, large amounts of cocaine and fentanyl, and arrest of 5 men

New West Police and BC anti-gang task force investigation results in seizure of guns, large amounts of cocaine and fentanyl, and arrest of 5 men
All were arrested at various locations throughout the Lower Mainland on March 7th and have remained in custody overnight.  The investigation remains ongoing and CFSEU-BC anticipates that more charges may be forthcoming.

New West Police and BC anti-gang task force investigation results in seizure of guns, large amounts of cocaine and fentanyl, and arrest of 5 men

Man in B.C.'s north dies after hit by snow plow

Man in B.C.'s north dies after hit by snow plow
The pedestrian was on a street in a business area of Fort St. John when he was hit Monday. A statement from RCMP says bystanders provided first aid but the unresponsive victim was pronounced dead in hospital.    

Man in B.C.'s north dies after hit by snow plow

Safety board to release report on B.C. tug sinking

Safety board to release report on B.C. tug sinking
Transportation Safety Board chair Kathy Fox and Clifford Harvey, the director of marine investigations, will hold a news conference to reveal the findings on the sinking of the tug Ingenika in February 2021. The tug was towing a barge and had a captain and two crew members aboard when it took on water and sank in Gardner Canal.    

Safety board to release report on B.C. tug sinking