Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Premier Eby says Canada will negotiate from 'position of strength' on US tariff

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 01:21 PM
  • B.C. Premier Eby says Canada will negotiate from 'position of strength' on US tariff

British Columbia Premier David Eby says Canada must stand together and negotiate from its position on strength against plans by United States president-elect Donald Trump to impose a 25 per cent tariff on imports from Canada and Mexico.

Eby says the premiers will meet Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this week to discuss "our strategic approach" to Trump's plan to impose the tariff immediately after his inauguration on Jan. 20, unless action is taken to stem the flow of migrants and illegal drugs over the border.

Eby made the comments at the annual convention of the B.C. Federation of Labour.

He says the tariff would devastate workers and their families on both sides of the U.S.-Canada border.

Eby acknowledges improvements can be made with regards to Canada's border, especially when it comes to strengthening ports to police shipments of contraband and illegal drugs.

Trump issued a statement Monday saying Canada and Mexico have the power to solve their border issues, which he calls a "long simmering problem."

MORE National ARTICLES

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study
A study of British Columbia's deadly heat dome in 2021 says the risk factor most strongly associated with dying during those sweltering days was whether that person was receiving income assistance.

Poverty more prevalent among those who died during B.C.'s heat dome: study

Suspect arrested in sexual assault

Suspect arrested in sexual assault
Police in Victoria say they've arrested a suspect who they believe violently sexually assaulted a woman last week. Victoria police say a woman was threatened and assaulted in the early morning hours of July 18th after an unknown man took her to an area near a piece of public art known as the Commerce Canoe before fleeing. 

Suspect arrested in sexual assault

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog
A Manitoba RCMP officer has been charged after a woman complained she was assaulted during a domestic call last year. Police were called to a home in The Pas in September after receiving reports of a dispute between two women. 

Manitoba RCMP officer charged with assault following investigation: police watchdog

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire
Ramanath Das said he is aware that the eco-village he and his family are building in Venables Valley, B.C., may no longer exist when they return after being evacuated due to an encroaching wildfire. “We’re ready to go back and everything is as it was with ash all over it, or nothing’s there," said Das, who is the general manager of Vedic Eco Village.

B.C. man says Venables Valley locals are piecing together their losses from wildfire

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago
The federal government has reached a $147-million settlement with a First Nation in British Columbia over a dispute about water rights that dates back to the late 1800s. Members of the Esk'etemc First Nation in the Cariboo region began hand digging an irrigation ditch to their reserve with picks and shovels in the 1890s, but the government forced them to stop just a kilometre from their goal to access water for their reserve. 

B.C. First Nation gets $147M from Ottawa for lost water rights 131 years ago

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M
A fraud victim in Richmond has lost more than 1.5 million dollars. R-C-M-P say the victim reported sending the money after people posing as Chinese police officers falsely told them about a supposed outstanding arrest warrant in Hong Kong.

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M