Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Premier Eby says Canada will negotiate from 'position of strength' on US tariff

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 01:21 PM
  • B.C. Premier Eby says Canada will negotiate from 'position of strength' on US tariff

British Columbia Premier David Eby says Canada must stand together and negotiate from its position on strength against plans by United States president-elect Donald Trump to impose a 25 per cent tariff on imports from Canada and Mexico.

Eby says the premiers will meet Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this week to discuss "our strategic approach" to Trump's plan to impose the tariff immediately after his inauguration on Jan. 20, unless action is taken to stem the flow of migrants and illegal drugs over the border.

Eby made the comments at the annual convention of the B.C. Federation of Labour.

He says the tariff would devastate workers and their families on both sides of the U.S.-Canada border.

Eby acknowledges improvements can be made with regards to Canada's border, especially when it comes to strengthening ports to police shipments of contraband and illegal drugs.

Trump issued a statement Monday saying Canada and Mexico have the power to solve their border issues, which he calls a "long simmering problem."

MORE National ARTICLES

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel
A team has been selected to design a new eight-lane tunnel to replace the aging George Massey Tunnel under the Fraser River in Metro Vancouver, with British Columbia's transportation minister calling it a "huge step" for the project. Rob Fleming says the selection of the preferred proponent for the tunnel project, Cross Fraser Partnership, means design plans can now be finalized.

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel

Another body found in English Bay

Another body found in English Bay
Vancouver police say two women have been found dead in English Bay since Sunday, and they're wondering if the pair are somehow linked. The V-P-D says one woman's body washed up on shore near the Kitsilano Yacht Club on Monday, but it's not known how she died or whether or not it was a crime. 

Another body found in English Bay

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires
British Columbia's wildfire service says a significant change in the weather could cause another burst of wildfire activity, with extensive thunderstorms expected in the north and parts of the south following weeks of hot and dry weather. A bulletin from the service says B.C. saw thousands of lightning strikes over the weekend, mostly in the north, with more in the forecast.

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's
Miller says the replacement documents include permanent resident cards, Canadian citizenship certificates, passports and other travel documents that were lost, damaged or destroyed by wildfires. The special measures are in place until November 30th of this year.

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week
Homicide investigators say they want to speak with anyone who may know more about a 17-year-old who was found dead in Surrey last week.  Police say they’ve determined the death of Michael Zhao has no connections to the B-C gang conflict and it appears to be an isolated death.

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice
Calgary's outdoor water restrictions will remain in place for now. The city has been cautiously testing the water system in recent days, and says there were issues at both water treatment plants, including pumps at water intakes.

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice