Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

15 Indo-Canadians arrested in auto theft ring, stolen goods worth $9 mn recovered

15 Indo-Canadians arrested in auto theft ring, stolen goods worth $9 mn recovered
The suspects were identified as Balkar Singh, 42; Ajay Ajay, 26; Manjeet Padda, 40; Jagjeevan Singh, 25; Amandeep Baidwan, 41, Karamshand Singh, 58; Jasvinder Atwal, 45; Lakhvir Singh, 45; Jagpal Singh, 34; Upkaran Sandhu, 31; Sukhvinder Singh, 44; Kulvir Bains, 39; Banishidar Lalsaran, 39; Shobit Verma, 23, and Sukhninder Dhillon, 34.  

15 Indo-Canadians arrested in auto theft ring, stolen goods worth $9 mn recovered

Families get boosted Canada Child Benefit through sizable cost-of-living adjustment

Families get boosted Canada Child Benefit through sizable cost-of-living adjustment
The Liberals are highlighting the Canada Child Benefit today to mark its seven-year anniversary after they introduced it in their first budget. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is in southeastern Ontario today speaking to families about the impact of the benefit, which he says has reduced poverty across the country.

Families get boosted Canada Child Benefit through sizable cost-of-living adjustment

Fraser Valley bus strike might be coming to an end

Fraser Valley bus strike might be coming to an end
U-S-based First Transit operates on a contract with B-C Transit and employs about 200 bus drivers and mechanics serving Abbotsford, Mission, Agassiz-Harrison, Chilliwack and Hope. The company says it is eager for the strike to end and for services to be restored in the Fraser Valley.

Fraser Valley bus strike might be coming to an end

B.C. ports in limbo as union removes strike notice despite dispute with employers

B.C. ports in limbo as union removes strike notice despite dispute with employers
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke with B.C. Premier David Eby about the labour dispute between the union and the BC Maritime Employers Association and agreed on the need to "ensure the stability" of national supply chains.

B.C. ports in limbo as union removes strike notice despite dispute with employers

Union rescinds 72-hour B.C. port strike notice

Union rescinds 72-hour B.C. port strike notice
The union representing longshore workers in British Columbia says it has rescinded 72-hour strike notice that had sparked concerns the province's ports could be shut down again by Saturday.

Union rescinds 72-hour B.C. port strike notice

Darpan 10 with Surrey RCMP Assistant Commissioner-Brian Edwards

Darpan 10 with Surrey RCMP Assistant Commissioner-Brian Edwards
Hear from Surrey RCMP Assistant Commissioner Brian Edwards on public safety, policing, and more. 

Darpan 10 with Surrey RCMP Assistant Commissioner-Brian Edwards