Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Kewal Singh

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Kewal Singh
Kewal Singh was last seen at approximately 4:00pm on July 23, 2023 in the 8500 block of 151A Street in Surrey. He has not been seen or heard from since. It is unusual for Singh to not be in contact with his family Police and family are concerned for his health and well-being.

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Kewal Singh

B.C. port union to recommend settlement agreement to its members

B.C. port union to recommend settlement agreement to its members
The BC Maritime Employers Association said Friday the agreement to be presented to workers is the same one the union's caucus rejected just days ago. In a statement, the association said the deal is the proposal reached with a federal mediator and was originally agreed to by both sides on July 13.

B.C. port union to recommend settlement agreement to its members

Arrest made in suspicious death

Arrest made in suspicious death
Prince George Mounties say they've made an arrest in a suspicious death of a woman found on Tuesday. Mounties say a 22-year-old woman died during a home invasion which they believe was a targeted incident.  

Arrest made in suspicious death

Celebration of Light kicks off tomorrow

Celebration of Light kicks off tomorrow
The fireworks competition gets underway tomorrow with road closures expected as a result in the West End and neighbouring Kits Point. Tomorrow night's competition will see fireworks displays from a team from Australia.

Celebration of Light kicks off tomorrow

Armed robbery in Kelowna

Armed robbery in Kelowna
Mounties say the male suspect brandished a handgun during the robbery then quickly fled the area before officers arrived. Officers say they are actively searching for the suspect described as wearing a blue mask, blue jacket with brown hair and a slim build, clad in a Reebok hoodie that was blue on top and black at the bottom.

Armed robbery in Kelowna

Hot weather for this weekend

Hot weather for this weekend
Nelson saw the temperature hit 38.2 Celsius yesterday, breaking a record set back in 1938. Elsewhere, temperature records were set in McKenzie, Nakusp, Richmond and Smithers. Heat warnings are in place for the Okanagan, Thompson and Boundary regions.

Hot weather for this weekend