Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers
The BC Maritime Employers Association says the offer being presented is the same one leaders of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union had previously rejected, which briefly sent workers back to the picket line last week. 

B.C. port workers will get eyes on contract offer from maritime employers

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday
Fisheries Minister Joyce Murray, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, Public Services and Procurement Minister Helena Jaczek and Mental Health and Addictions Minister Carolyn Bennett all announced this week that they will not seek re-election.

Four ministers won't seek re-election, cabinet shuffle expected as soon as Wednesday

United Way giving help to wildfire affected areas

United Way giving help to wildfire affected areas
The charity says it is well positioned to deliver services to communities devastated by the province's worst-ever wildfire season through its work with First Nations, governments and other charitable organizations. 

United Way giving help to wildfire affected areas

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned
Police in Nanaimo say a brazen theft of a 75-inch television from a Walmart in June was ill planned, with two suspects caught on video placing the large T-V on a car rooftop and holding it down with nothing but their hands. Nanaimo R-C-M-P say a man and a woman, both in their 40s, now face theft charges after they were filmed driving off with the stolen T-V on the evening of June 8th.

Nanaimo TV theft poorly planned

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom
Surrey RCMP say they believe Verity Bolton, along with her father Robert and boyfriend Abraxus Glazov are living in trailers in a rural area after the woman failed to return the children to their father earlier this month. 

RCMP suspect Amber Alert kids taken off grid after 'preplanned' abduction by B.C. mom

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver
The 70-year-old victim was crossing West Georgia Street at Cardero on July 22 at 9 a.m. when he was hit in the crosswalk by a dark blue Mini Cooper travelling east on West Georgia. The victim was taken to hospital where he remains in recovery.

70 year old pedestrian struck in Downtown Vancouver