Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

Former senator, MP and journalist Pat Carney is dead at the age of 88

Former senator, MP and journalist Pat Carney is dead at the age of 88
Pat Carney, who pioneered roles for women in Canadian politics and journalism, has died at the age of 88. Her niece, Jill Carney, confirmed in a statement that the former MP and senator passed away Tuesday.   

Former senator, MP and journalist Pat Carney is dead at the age of 88

Vancouver Island woman sentenced for coughing in face of a grocery store clerk

Vancouver Island woman sentenced for coughing in face of a grocery store clerk
A Vancouver Island woman has been sentenced to 18 months of probation for coughing in the face of a grocery store clerk on purpose in the earliest days of the pandemic. The woman was found guilty in April of assaulting the employee and causing a disturbance at the Save-On-Foods in Campbell River in April 2020.

Vancouver Island woman sentenced for coughing in face of a grocery store clerk

Body found in Oak Bay, police investigate

Body found in Oak Bay, police investigate
Police are investigating after a body was discovered in Oak Bay. A section of Beach Drive was closed from Monterey Avenue to King George Terrace this morning after the discovery.

Body found in Oak Bay, police investigate

Funding helps people new to B.C. find in-demand jobs

Funding helps people new to B.C. find in-demand jobs
With this grant, IEC-BC will provide extended mentorship to under-employed and unemployed immigrants that will help them understand and adapt their skills and experience to the Canadian labour market. This grant will benefit newcomers and businesses across the province.

Funding helps people new to B.C. find in-demand jobs

Truck explosion in Langley felt like an earthquake: witness

Truck explosion in Langley felt like an earthquake: witness
An employee at a mall in Langley says she heard a giant boom, the ground shook and she thought they were experiencing an earthquake. Instead, RCMP say a welding truck in the mall’s parking lot had exploded in flames.  

Truck explosion in Langley felt like an earthquake: witness

One injured in Port Moody crash, IIO investigates

One injured in Port Moody crash, IIO investigates
A statement from the Port Moody Police Department says officers tried to pull over a motorcycle at around 6:30 last night, but the driver sped off. The person slammed into a police vehicle at an intersection on Port Moody's west side, leaving the motorcyclist with injuries officers describe as "non-life-threatening."  

One injured in Port Moody crash, IIO investigates