Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

Kamal Sharma: A Cultural Trailblazer Preserving South Asian Heritage

Kamal Sharma: A Cultural Trailblazer Preserving South Asian Heritage
From being the first person to sell original Bollywood movie prints to hosting entertainment shows that garnered a cult following among ethnic communities to introducing concerts that brought legendary South Asian artists to Vancouver, Kamal has been a pioneer in shaping the South Asian cultural landscape.

Kamal Sharma: A Cultural Trailblazer Preserving South Asian Heritage

New housing minister says closing door on newcomers is no solution to housing crunch

New housing minister says closing door on newcomers is no solution to housing crunch
Sean Fraser, who previously served as immigration minister, was sworn in Wednesday morning as part of a Liberal government cabinet shuffle aimed at showcasing a fresh team ahead of the next federal election. Strong population growth through immigration is adding pressure to housing demand at a time when the country is struggling with an affordability crisis. 

New housing minister says closing door on newcomers is no solution to housing crunch

B.C. launches $10.5m rebate for businesses' vandalism repairs, prevention measures

B.C. launches $10.5m rebate for businesses' vandalism repairs, prevention measures
British Columbia is launching a $10.5-million program to help small businesses recover costs due to crime and vandalism. Economic Development Minister Brenda Bailey says the program will begin in the fall and is open to small businesses that suffered vandalism damage retroactive to Jan. 1 this year. 

B.C. launches $10.5m rebate for businesses' vandalism repairs, prevention measures

Two dead in Calgary house fire

Two dead in Calgary house fire
Two people had escaped the home and a neighbour had pulled a third person from the building and attempted life-saving efforts. Firefighters then found a fourth person in the basement as they battled the flames.  

Two dead in Calgary house fire

Staff at lodge for LNG workers in Kitimat, B.C., win 40% pay bump, averting strike

Staff at lodge for LNG workers in Kitimat, B.C., win 40% pay bump, averting strike
Employees at a lodge housing workers for LNG Canada's under-construction facility in Kitimat, B.C., have won wage increases of up to 40 per cent, averting a strike. The workers' union, Unite Here Local 40, says in a statement the new deal was reached after mediation with the employer at the BC Labour Board.  

Staff at lodge for LNG workers in Kitimat, B.C., win 40% pay bump, averting strike

Cooler weather sees B.C. wildfire numbers dip, but drought still poses concern

Cooler weather sees B.C. wildfire numbers dip, but drought still poses concern
The number of active wildfires in British Columbia has dipped below 450 as cooler weather and recent rain has cut the fire risk, although another hot spell could wipe out those gains as large sections of the province wilt under severe drought.

Cooler weather sees B.C. wildfire numbers dip, but drought still poses concern