Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2024 11:26 AM
  • B.C.'s 'massive error' part of web of inaction that could have saved boy: advocate

The ministry that is supposed to be protecting British Columbia’s kids made what the children’s representative says was a “massive error,” resulting in the torturous death of an 11-year-old boy at the hands of those who were approved to be his caregivers.

Jennifer Charlesworth says the boy's death is not an outlier, but rather an example of ways the child welfare system has let down children and families in B.C. and across Canada, despite decades of reports making hundreds of recommendations for change.

Charlesworth says the boy, who was given the pseudonym Colby in her report, had complex medical needs and was one of three siblings placed with the couple who would go on to be convicted of manslaughter for his death in 2023.

The placement was approved by both B.C.'s Ministry of Children and Family Development and family service's department of the boy's First Nation, but the report says the ministry did not complete background checks or visit the home before the siblings were moved there. 

She says the lack of communication, due diligence and process would "prove to be a massive error" because those in charge of the boy's safety could have learned the woman had prior involvement with the ministry over physical abuse of her child and there were documented concerns about her partner's "conduct with children."

Children’s Minister Grace Lore wasn’t immediately available to comment on the report, but when details of the boy’s abuse were made public last year, then-minister Mitzi Dean apologized to the family and said the systemic changes were being made to support First Nations in providing their own services for children.

A summary of Charlesworth's report avoids going into specifics about how the children were abused but says what they suffered was "strikingly similar in nature to the horrors inflicted on many Indigenous children who attended residential schools."

She makes a series of recommendations, including a review of the assessments done on potential caregivers, dedicated supports for extended family members involved in kinship care, and that public bodies that have previously received recommendations from her office revise their timelines.

Charlesworth says there was no one thing or one person who could be held wholly responsible for the boy's death, but there were a "web of actions and inactions and dozens of missed opportunities across an entire system.

"Over more than three decades, dozens of reports about child and family services in British Columbia have been written and released by various organizations, including by this office. Hundreds of recommendations have been made and millions of dollars have been invested by the government in an attempt to address those recommendations," the summary of the report says.

"And yet here we are again – reviewing the death of an innocent young child and asking the same questions that have been asked for years: How did the systems that are intended to help children and families in this province let this boy and his family down so badly? What will it take for us not to return to this very place in another few years?"

MORE National ARTICLES

Showers for much of B.C., but evacuation orders, alerts grow in drought-ridden south

Showers for much of B.C., but evacuation orders, alerts grow in drought-ridden south
For the first time in more than a month, showers and cooler weather are reaching parched sections of British Columbia, potentially bringing some respite for crews battling hundreds of wildfires. Environment Canada says about 20 millimetres of rain should dampen Vancouver Island and Metro Vancouver.

Showers for much of B.C., but evacuation orders, alerts grow in drought-ridden south

Mayhem in the City:The Plight of Public Safety Amidst the Aftermath of the Hardeep Singh Nijjar Shooting

Mayhem in the City:The Plight of Public Safety Amidst the Aftermath of the Hardeep Singh Nijjar Shooting
Recent incidents, including the tragic shooting of Hardeep Singh Nijjar that unfolded in our city, have brought this issue to the forefront, sparking discussions and calls for action. As we grapple with the aftermath of such events, it is essential to delve deeper into the multifaceted nature of public safety. 

Mayhem in the City:The Plight of Public Safety Amidst the Aftermath of the Hardeep Singh Nijjar Shooting

Boy nearly drowns in Port Moody lake

Boy nearly drowns in Port Moody lake
Police in Port Moody say a 14-year-old boy is in hospital in critical condition after he nearly drowned in a Metro Vancouver lake. They say that around 4 p-m on Saturday, first responders were called to Sasamat Lake for a report of a possible drowning.

Boy nearly drowns in Port Moody lake

Man arrested for fatal stabbing in Toronto

Man arrested for fatal stabbing in Toronto
A man was arrested in Surrey, B-C, for his role in a fatal stabbing that happened in downtown Toronto in March. Toronto Police say an altercation between a 55-year-old and four other men resulted in the stabbing and while the man was transported to hospital, he died soon after.  

Man arrested for fatal stabbing in Toronto

Shooting in Oliver

Shooting in Oliver
Mounties in the southern Interior of British Columbia are asking for the public's help after the body of a 29-year-old man was found. This comes after officers were called to a vineyard on the road Wednesday, where they confirmed a man was shot and killed. Police say the suspect left the scene but was found later that day at his home, where he was then arrested.    

Shooting in Oliver

Man flees from U.S. police, crashes in B.C. after speeding across border

Man flees from U.S. police, crashes in B.C. after speeding across border
Mounties in Surrey, B.C., say a driver who fled from authorities in the U.S., sped through the Peace Arch border crossing and crashed in British Columbia is now in custody.  They say RCMP responded to a report that a suspected stolen vehicle had crossed the border from Washington State around 8 p.m. Saturday.

Man flees from U.S. police, crashes in B.C. after speeding across border