Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

BOC outlook survey

BOC outlook survey
The Bank of Canada's latest business outlook survey suggests businesses still anticipate larger-than-normal wage and price increases over the next year. The central bank reports expectations are shifting closer to what they were before the pandemic.

BOC outlook survey

B.C. health authority issues drug alert after benzodiazepines found in vape juice

B.C. health authority issues drug alert after benzodiazepines found in vape juice
Fraser Health issued an overdose alert Thursday saying the juice that tested positive contained cannabis and suspected synthetic cannabinoids and was sold in refillable, unmarked and unbranded cartridges. It did not specify where the product was sold.

B.C. health authority issues drug alert after benzodiazepines found in vape juice

Teenage hiker Esther Wang is found safe after two days lost in B.C. park

Teenage hiker Esther Wang is found safe after two days lost in B.C. park
Team manager Ryan Smith with Ridge Meadows Search and Rescue says Esther Wang was located Thursday night and has gone home with her family after a medical assessment. RCMP say the 16-year-old from Langley, B.C., was part of a group of four people who were hiking in Golden Ears Provincial Park on Tuesday.

Teenage hiker Esther Wang is found safe after two days lost in B.C. park

Transit altercation results in a broken jaw and severed finger

Transit altercation results in a broken jaw and severed finger
On May 23rd just before 6:00 p.m., a physical altercation took place between two men, not known to each other, as they were boarding the same bus at the Marine Drive Canada Line Station in Vancouver. During the course of the altercation, a bus window was broken and a bystander was injured.  

Transit altercation results in a broken jaw and severed finger

B.C. staff who failed to check on two abused foster children lose jobs: ministry

B.C. staff who failed to check on two abused foster children lose jobs: ministry
While the Ministry of Children and Family Development did not provide the names or the number of people involved, it said in a statement "the staff who were directly involved in this case are no longer employed by the ministry." The statement said ministry staff did not follow its policy that children in care should be seen regularly by a social worker.    

B.C. staff who failed to check on two abused foster children lose jobs: ministry

7 infrastructure projects coming to BC

7 infrastructure projects coming to BC
A joint investment of more than 5.5-million-dollars will support work in Williams Lake, Prince George, Prince Rupert and Merritt. The projects involve improvements to the Cariboo Memorial Recreation Complex in Williams Lake as well as ventilation in four schools and a social housing complex in the northern region.

7 infrastructure projects coming to BC