Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

Multiple boats stolen in Kelowna

Multiple boats stolen in Kelowna
Police are looking for witnesses after multiple boats were stolen from a locked campground in Kelowna. R-C-M-P say 14 boats were stolen between June 20th and 27th from McCurdy Place from within plain view of traffic on Highway 97.  

Multiple boats stolen in Kelowna

Searchers look for B.C. teen missing in provincial park since Tuesday

Searchers look for B.C. teen missing in provincial park since Tuesday
RCMP say 16-year-old Esther Wang from Langley, B.C., was part of a group of four people who were hiking in Golden Ears Provincial Park on Tuesday.  The group left a lookout point at about 2:45 p.m. to head back to their campground and about 15 minutes later they noticed that Wang was missing.

Searchers look for B.C. teen missing in provincial park since Tuesday

Sketch of an unidentified man released:VPD

Sketch of an unidentified man released:VPD
Vancouver Police have released a composite sketch of an unidentified man who died after being found in medical distress this spring. They say the man was found on the grounds of the Britannia Community Centre on March 24th and died later in hospital.  

Sketch of an unidentified man released:VPD

Student charged in University of Waterloo stabbing that injured three

Student charged in University of Waterloo stabbing that injured three
The violence that took place on the campus about 100 kilometres west of Toronto a day earlier left three people injured and many others expressing shock at what happened.  The stabbings sent a 38-year-old professor and two students – a 20-year-old woman and 19-year-old man – to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

Student charged in University of Waterloo stabbing that injured three

Canada, allies head to international court over Iran's downing of Flight PS752

Canada, allies head to international court over Iran's downing of Flight PS752
Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps shot down the Ukrainian Airlines flight just minutes after takeoff on Jan. 8, 2020, killing all 176 people on board.  The passengers included 55 Canadian citizens and 30 permanent residents, along with others with ties to Canada.

Canada, allies head to international court over Iran's downing of Flight PS752

Burnaby man dies in home invasion

Burnaby man dies in home invasion
A woman was also found injured in the home, but police say her injuries aren't considered life threatening. Burnaby R-C-M-P say they were called at around seven this morning to a report of a home invasion. 

Burnaby man dies in home invasion