Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

NDP clean sweep in both by-elections

NDP clean sweep in both by-elections
Community activist Joan Phillip won Vancouver-Mount Pleasant for the N-D-P with almost 68 per cent of the vote.  N-D-P candidate Ravi Parmar won Langford-Juan de Fuca with 53 per cent of the vote

NDP clean sweep in both by-elections

Surrey weekend car crash kills 2 people

Surrey weekend car crash kills 2 people
Surrey R-C-M-P say the crash happened early Sunday, when a Volkswagen collided with a Hyundai sedan while both were northbound on 176 Street near 32 Avenue. Police say the crash sent both cars into a water-filled ditch beside the road, and two people in the Hyundai have died while two others from the same vehicle are injured, one critically.

Surrey weekend car crash kills 2 people

Targeted shooting in Burnaby leaves 1 injured

Targeted shooting in Burnaby leaves 1 injured
The incident is believed to have occurred inside a parked vehicle near Halifax Street and Woodway Place in Burnaby around 2 p.m. No victims, suspects, or related vehicles were on scene when police arrived. However, the victim, a 20-year-old-man, was treated in hospital for non-life-threatening gunshot wounds after seeking medical care.

Targeted shooting in Burnaby leaves 1 injured

2 bystanders being praised for quick action in preventing stabbing

2 bystanders being praised for quick action in preventing stabbing
Mounties are praising two bystanders in Kelowna who jumped into action and disarmed a man who allegedly stabbed a woman at a bus station. Mounties say two "good samaritans" were physically detaining the suspect when an officer arrived to arrest the man.  

2 bystanders being praised for quick action in preventing stabbing

Vancouver needs a 9% annual property tax hike to maintain its fiscal outlook

Vancouver needs a 9% annual property tax hike to maintain its fiscal outlook
The report says the outlook for operating expenditures is driven by factors, including higher fixed costs to provide existing service levels, the renewal of infrastructure and public amenities, Metro Vancouver levies, and the implementation of key initiatives from the 2023 budget, such as the hiring of additional police officers.'

Vancouver needs a 9% annual property tax hike to maintain its fiscal outlook

B.C. warns of summer drought, asks people to conserve water

B.C. warns of summer drought, asks people to conserve water
A statement from the Forests Ministry says recent rains have provided some relief in parts of B.C., but it hasn't been enough to make up the deficit. B.C.'s drought map shows much of the northeastern corner of the province is at drought level four on the five-level scale, meaning conditions are extremely dry with communities and ecosystems likely to experience adverse impacts.

B.C. warns of summer drought, asks people to conserve water