Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim
A statement from Richmond RCMP says they have received multiple calls since June 16 to investigate the pet owner after posters were put up around the city listing the address and accusing the resident of cruelty.

'Hugo is fine': RCMP say Richmond, B.C., resident harassed over false cruelty claim

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision
Vancouver Police are investigating a fatal collision that killed a 28-year-old man this morning, and are asking anyone with information to call investigators. Although the investigation is still in its early stages, it is believed speed and impaired driving contributed to the crash. The 34-year-old suspect, driving the van, was taken to hospital for serious injuries. The investigation is ongoing.

28 year old man killed in Downtown collision

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior
A statement from Merritt RCMP says the two were last seen Monday in a small boat on Stump Lake, between Kamloops and Merritt. Friends began a search around the lake late Monday, then called police when they couldn't find the two men.

Search for two Metro Vancouver men underway on lake in B.C.'s southern Interior

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran
The B.C. Prosecution Service announced in a statement Thursday that the charge laid against Colin Basran last October has been dropped. The service says special prosecutor Brock Martland was appointed to the investigation of a sexual assault alleged to have happened in May 2022, when Basran was the sitting mayor. 

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada
Daqwan Roshayne Howard Lee, 28, was arrested on Monday and charged with first-degree murder, aggravated assault and discharging a firearm with intent, Edmonton police said. Police said Barinder Singh and his daughter were "innocent victims of a wrongly targeted crime".

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada

Fraud suspect on the loose: Surrey RCMP

Fraud suspect on the loose: Surrey RCMP
Through investigation it was determined that the person who uttered the fraudulent bank drafts was utilizing another person’s identity. The suspect is described as a South Asian female, 5’7", slim build, with shoulder length dark hair. She spoke Hindi, Punjabi and English.  

Fraud suspect on the loose: Surrey RCMP