Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey councillor breached conflict rules in police vote: ethics report

Surrey councillor breached conflict rules in police vote: ethics report
The investigation by Surrey's ethics commissioner says Rob Stutt broke the council's code of conduct on Nov. 14 when he voted at a meeting to decide the fate of the transition. The move to the Surrey Police Service was rejected in a 5-4 vote.  

Surrey councillor breached conflict rules in police vote: ethics report

Mental health supports for immigrants on Vancouver Island

Mental health supports for immigrants on Vancouver Island
The B-C government says it will spend 375-thousand dollars over three years to support child and youth counselling services at the Vancouver Island Counselling Centre for Immigrants and Refugees.

Mental health supports for immigrants on Vancouver Island

Burnaby massage therapist accused of sexual misconduct

Burnaby massage therapist accused of sexual misconduct
The College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia says a massage therapist in Burnaby who's been accused of sexual misconduct cannot have female clients while he's being investigated. It comes after a patient complained that the therapist inappropriately touched them in April.

Burnaby massage therapist accused of sexual misconduct

18 year old assaulted with a baseball bat

18 year old assaulted with a baseball bat
Witnesses told police, the suspect was seen approaching the victim wearing a mask and carrying a baseball bat. The suspect then allegedly hit the victim with the bat and kicked him before fleeing on foot with a group of 4-5 youths. Bystanders provided first aid to the 18-year man until such time that emergency first responders arrived on scene.

18 year old assaulted with a baseball bat

B.C. launches $20M flood mitigation fund for the Fraser Valley

B.C. launches $20M flood mitigation fund for the Fraser Valley
A statement from the Agriculture Ministry says the funding will be used for community-scale projects that protect and restore local ecosystems and wetlands, such as culvert improvements, embankment stabilization and crop diversification.

B.C. launches $20M flood mitigation fund for the Fraser Valley

Search for missing submersible near Titanic wreck site a race against time

Search for missing submersible near Titanic wreck site a race against time
The search, in an area about 700 kilometres south of St. John’s, N.L., is in a race against time because the 6.4-metre vessel had a 96-hour oxygen supply when it submerged on Sunday morning, according to an adviser for owner OceanGate Expeditions.

Search for missing submersible near Titanic wreck site a race against time