Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing
The B-C government recommended in April that Surrey continue the transition to an independent force and Farnworth set out requirements for safe and effective policing, which the city would need to follow in order to keep the Mounties.  

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing

Man jumps on police car and smashes windshield: VPD

Man jumps on police car and smashes windshield: VPD
Vancouver police say a man jumped on a police car and smashed the windshield over the weekend before he tried to run away. Officers say yesterday's incident was unrelated to a traffic stop they were conducting at the time. 

Man jumps on police car and smashes windshield: VPD

Surrey RCMP head calling Surrey shooting a 'disgusting attack'

Surrey RCMP head calling Surrey shooting a 'disgusting attack'
R-C-M-P assistant commissioner Brian Edwards says anyone with knowledge of the murder should come forward as witnesses. Nijjar was accused of terrorism and conspiracy to murder in India, but there's no indication yet of a motive for the murder.

Surrey RCMP head calling Surrey shooting a 'disgusting attack'

Surrey, B.C., mayor accuses public safety minister of bullying, misogyny

Surrey, B.C., mayor accuses public safety minister of bullying, misogyny
Locke said Farnworth has been "a bully all the way through" the city council process that ultimately determined it would revert to the RCMP, well into the transition to an independent municipal force. A representative of Farnworth's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment about Locke's claims.  

Surrey, B.C., mayor accuses public safety minister of bullying, misogyny

New Nanaimo hospital ICU to take patients soon, replacing one of Canada's worst units

New Nanaimo hospital ICU to take patients soon, replacing one of Canada's worst units
Dix was in Nanaimo today for an opening ceremony for the unit that will replace what he says is an outdated and undersized ICU, a10-bed facility built in 1970. He says the new $41.6-million unit includes larger single-patient rooms, overhead patient lifts and a family consulting room.

New Nanaimo hospital ICU to take patients soon, replacing one of Canada's worst units

Donnie Creek Wildfire now the largest in B.C.'s history: Wildfire Service

Donnie Creek Wildfire now the largest in B.C.'s history: Wildfire Service
The fire, which is burning south of Fort Nelson in northeastern B.C., is now estimated at more than 5,343 square kilometres in size. It surpasses the Plateau fire that charred 5,210 square kilometres northwest of Williams Lake in 2017 and was previously considered the province's largest fire.  

Donnie Creek Wildfire now the largest in B.C.'s history: Wildfire Service