Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Jul, 2024 12:59 PM
  • Bell files injunction seeking to block Rogers from broadcasting Warner Bros. content

Bell Media is seeking an injunction to block Warner Bros. Discovery content from being broadcast after Rogers Communications Inc. takes over as the Canadian rightsholder in January.

In a court application filed June 19, the BCE Inc. subsidiary said a licensing deal that was announced nine days earlier between Warner Bros. and Rogers breached non-compete provisions that Bell had in place when it previously acquired the rights to the content.

The company also alleged in the court documents that Rogers "induced" Warner Bros. to breach its non-competition obligations to Bell Media, which has delivered certain Discovery programming in Canada for 30 years.

Last month, Rogers said it had signed multi-year deals with Warner Bros. Discovery, along with NBCUniversal, for their popular lifestyle and entertainment brands in Canada starting Jan. 1.

That comprises television channels such as Discovery Channel Canada, Discovery Velocity, Discovery Science and Animal Planet, to which Bell previously owned the Canadian programming rights. It also includes others licensed to Corus Entertainment Inc. such as HGTV and The Food Network.

In a statement, Rogers spokeswoman Sarah Schmidt said Bell’s claims "are without merit and we will fight to make sure Canadians can continue watching the programs they know and love."

"We look forward to bringing this content to Canadians across the country and to our long-term partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery," she said.

"Bell is asking the court to block Canadians from seeing these Discovery channels for two years — stopping anyone in Canada from distributing them and stopping anyone in Canada from watching them."

In its application, Bell asked the court for an injunction to prevent Warner Bros. Discovery and its affiliates "from directly or indirectly supplying Discovery-related programming" to other competitors in Canada.

It also requested an order for the respondents, which include both Rogers and Warner Bros., to pay damages to Bell for breach of contract, inducing breach of contract, interference with economic relations and conspiracy.

The submission said Bell Media has invested "hundreds of millions of dollars in developing, promoting, and growing the Discovery brands in the Canadian market over the past 30 years."

It said its contracts with Warner Bros. contain a clause that ensures Bell is entitled "to at least a two-year window to adjust" if Warner Bros. ever declines to renew the licensing agreements for Discovery-related programming.

Bell said that prevents Warner Bros. and its affiliates from operating or supplying programming to a competitor, including Rogers, during the two-year window.

"Our long-standing partnership, content, and brand arrangements for the Discovery Canada channels include protections against the launch of competing services," said Bell Media spokeswoman Mary Costa in an email.

The next hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place Sept. 13.

MORE National ARTICLES

Teen's car impounded after being caught at twice the speed limit

Teen's car impounded after being caught at twice the speed limit
Kelowna R-C-M-P say the 17-year-old driver was caught on the morning of June 14 travelling at 115 kilometres in a grey Volkswagen Jetta. Police say they pulled the driver over and issued him a three-hundred-68-dollar fine, while also impounding his car.

Teen's car impounded after being caught at twice the speed limit

Woman assaulted in Richmond

Woman assaulted in Richmond
Richmond R-C-M-P say the incident happened on June 7th just before midnight, when the victim got off a bus and was about to cross King Road. Police say the male suspect then grabbed the woman from behind and brandished a knife, according to the victim.

Woman assaulted in Richmond

Evacuation orders lifted in B.C. and Alberta towns as wildfires recede

Evacuation orders lifted in B.C. and Alberta towns as wildfires recede
Thanks to recent rain and favourable winds, Tumbler Ridge's roughly 2,000 residents were allowed to return home Thursday when the evacuation order was lifted. There was also good news in Alberta, where an evacuation order was being lifted in the town of Edson, allowing more than 8,000 people to return home.

Evacuation orders lifted in B.C. and Alberta towns as wildfires recede

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources
Premier David Eby told a news conference Thursday that the forecast that calls for the additional 3,000 gigawatt hours per year of renewable energy is three years earlier than previously estimated.

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

Province opens new substance-use treatment beds Surrey & Vancouver

Province opens new substance-use treatment beds Surrey & Vancouver
Mental Health and Addictions Minister Jennifer Whiteside says 18 of the beds have been added at the Phoenix Society in Surrey and six at the Covenant House in Vancouver. The beds in Surrey are for men in the province between 17 and 24-years old -- with an average stay of three to six months. 

Province opens new substance-use treatment beds Surrey & Vancouver

One person killed in Quesnel

One person killed in Quesnel
R-C-M-P in British Columbia are investigating after one person was killed in a crash involving a semi trailer and a pickup truck. The incident happened yesterday afternoon about 35 kilometres south of Quesnel.  

One person killed in Quesnel