Sunday, August 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Black advocates call out Carney government for excluding them from diversity council

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Jun, 2026 10:55 AM
  • Black advocates call out Carney government for excluding them from diversity council

Advocates for Black Canadians say the Carney government is reinforcing the barriers they face by launching an inclusivity council that does not include any Black people.

MP Jean Augustine, the first Black woman elected to the House of Commons, says the government is snubbing the accomplishments of Black people in Canada.

Amnesty International's representative for English-speaking Canada says the decision was a major oversight and a sign of how fighting racism is a lower priority for Prime Minister Mark Carney than it was for his predecessor Justin Trudeau.

Carney's office and Heritage Canada did not immediately respond when asked whether a Black person will be appointed or if the council intentionally did not include one.

Nicholas Marcus Thompson, co-chair of the National Employment Equity Council, says the council should report directly to Parliament instead of a federal minister, and have more autonomy.

Advocates also say the government neglected to cite anti-Black racism in launching the council, which replaces two special envoys who had been tasked with combating Islamophobia and antisemitism.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

How high pandemic-period immigration papered over the cracks in Canada's economy

How high pandemic-period immigration papered over the cracks in Canada's economy
Prime Minister Mark Carney has said that lower immigration under his government helps to explain why Canada's economy has declined for the last two quarters, pushing it into recession territory.

How high pandemic-period immigration papered over the cracks in Canada's economy

Man charged with assaulting Quebec RCMP officer during anti-smuggling operation

Man charged with assaulting Quebec RCMP officer during anti-smuggling operation
Quebec RCMP say a 25-year-old man has been charged with assaulting an officer during an alleged migrant smuggling operation on Tuesday night.

Man charged with assaulting Quebec RCMP officer during anti-smuggling operation

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy charged with sexual assault

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy charged with sexual assault
The British Columbia Prosecution Service has announced that Independent legislator Jordan Kealy has been charged with sexual assault over allegations dating back to before his election.

Independent B.C. legislator Jordan Kealy charged with sexual assault

B.C. extends pause on new mineral claims in northern regions to 2027

B.C. extends pause on new mineral claims in northern regions to 2027
The British Columbia government has extended its pause on new mineral rights claim registrations in the northwestern and north-central regions until 2027 due to ongoing land-use planning with First Nations.

B.C. extends pause on new mineral claims in northern regions to 2027

5 things you need to know about Canada's new AI strategy

5 things you need to know about Canada's new AI strategy
Prime Minister Mark Carney unveiled Canada's long-promised updated strategy on artificial intelligence Thursday -- a technology his government says is quickly changing how the world works.

5 things you need to know about Canada's new AI strategy

Carney has not formed opinion on Ford's island airport expansion vision in Toronto

Carney has not formed opinion on Ford's island airport expansion vision in Toronto
Prime Minister Mark Carney says he has not formed an opinion on Ontario Premier Doug Ford's plan to expand Toronto's island airport.

Carney has not formed opinion on Ford's island airport expansion vision in Toronto

PrevNext